On the history and implementation of NumLock

(ScottB) #61

NumPad. [“Post must be at least 20 characters”, eh? Here you go…]

(ScottB) #62

I left a comment on issue #1. As explained there, I’m pretty sure we’re seeing one bug, not two.

(Jesse) #63

That’s a little surprising to me, since I don’t …oh. I think I see what’s up. We’re calling “pressKey” but not ever releaseKey. That’s totally a bug. so I think this may be a weird key repeat issue.

(Liza) #64

I’m having some of this “not broken” behavior in a particularly undesirable manner: in some circumstances pressing Num acts as ‘backspace/delete + switch to numpad.’ I just accidentally deleted an email in Mac Mail that way. Then I deleted a few more on purpose to confirm what I was seeing. :smile: I tested on another keyboard and its Num Lock key does the same thing, but as andrewg pointed out, on the other keyboard I don’t have to hit Num Lock key–the number pad there is on by default.

I just experimented by renaming or commenting out all active references to the word “numpad” in my Model01-Firmware.ino. I got some unexpected LED effects–some LED patterns are no longer available, and the new default LED pattern is one that didn’t exist before–but now pressing Num gets me my number keypad without any unwanted other effects.

I’m switching back to my previous version of the firmware to get my other LED effects back, I liked them, but after that I’m thinking about digging around to figure out how to remove the num lock aspect of that key. However, I have no experience with keyboard signals. Those of you who do know about that sort of thing: am I likely to cause myself any problems by removing the “num lock” aspect of the “LockLayer(NUMPAD)” button? In case it affects the answer: I’ll be using this keyboard with Macs and (via ssh) Linux, and I use vi.