Share your Model 01 typing experience and typing practice tools!

I will get it to you by the end of the day. Have you made any changes so far? If so, send me a private message with your .ino file and I’ll give you a changed file back.

Are there any other changes you want to make? I love OneShot, and removed most of the LED effects so I just have the rainbow patterns, heatmap, and off.

What order would you like your rounded thumb buttons in?

Would you like both of your function keys to be space, or would you like one as backspace? If different, which hand should be which?

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here’s something I just realised: Sometimes shortcuts I’ve been using for ages just wouldn’t work with the Model 01. A prime example of this is cmd + w. What happened was that I pressed the left palm key while pressing cmd ever so slightly, which changed the keymap. So it was my mistake all along. Has anyone else had the same experience?

1 Like

not the exact same but when typing at speed I used to get a lot of accidental palm key presses which usually resulted in some mouse click screwing everything up. I swapped the ctrl and shift keys and that has fixed my issues. using one shot modifiers for ctrl and alt also helped.

I’m considering swapping ctrl and shift on both sides, too…

I’ve made quite a few changes so far. At my age and after having typed for over 40 years I’m a bit set in my ways when it comes to some things. I fiddled with the function keys but I was losing too much time off work so I set it aside until I had more time. I’ve changed the thumb keys as well. I just didn’t know how to switch the function keys. Do I even need all the stuff that’s in there now?

My favorite practice tool is this old, abandoned thing called Amphetype. It does some fairly advanced analysis of what keys are slow, and even what words and trigrams need work. Auto-generated lessons from those can be created.

But the best feature of all is that you can type entire books. I’ve “read” through five different books this way back when I was learning Colemak.

You can compile your own from source code on Github, but I recommend just downloading an executable that’s archived at https://code.google.com/archive/p/amphetype/.

3 Likes

That is pretty slick. Thanks Ivan.

1 Like

I started compiling a list of tools and resources for typists here:

Feel free to contribute.

4 Likes

There’s Tux Typing - Wikipedia, which despite the name is multi-platform. I suspect the basic premise has been around a while, and like other games (Trade Wars, that worm-avoiding-cave-walls thing, and so on) has been cloned for every system since.

I kept hitting something that change my keyboard to french so I just deleted that option.

My suggestion to avoid this is to float your hands/wrists while you type. Most people make the mistake of constantly resting their wrists on the rests. It may sound counterintuitive, but it’s a rest, not a seat for your wrists! If you float, you’ll probably never have this problem again.

1 Like

My plan for gaming with the Model 01 is just to live with the fact that I’m going to have to completely remap the bindings on a per-game basis. If I have a gaming layer – mapped back to QWERTY from my variant of the Malt layout – then I’m going to fail completely if I want to chat to someone.

My current thinking, for a mouse+keys style game is to map all my actions onto the left hand pod (around an ESDF inverted T) and, if I still need more keys, to duplicate my base layer, with a different palm key layer above it (A mirrored RHS perhaps?) rather than the mouse keys layout, which would be useless in a gaming context.

This gets horribly unwieldy if I’m going to be playing lots of different games, sure, but if it’s a game I’m going to sink some time into, the time cost of rebinding is going to be vanishingly small as a proportion of time spent. I’m not sure I could be bothered to do it, but it should be possible to remap the gaming any key in the gaming layer to cycle through a fixed sequence of keys (forward, back, strafe left, stafe right, crouch, jump, etc) and keep hitting that repeatedly as you mouse through the remapping menus.

2 Likes

That’s sound advice, thank you. However, I’m aware and I did float my hands when I encountered the issue :slight_smile:.

1 Like

https://community.keyboard.io/t/gaming-layer-based-on-default-qwerty/?source_topic_id=600
I’ve detailed what a gaming layer might look like for me. Feel free to have a look. Haven’t got my Model 01 yet so it remains untested.

I have to admit, using the Model 01 at work and having each colleague exclaim “What is this thing?! It looks so cool!” is pretty fun. Explaining what it is and talk about its advantages over normal keyboards every time gets tiring after while, though. :sweat_smile: I have it in full split mode, but the thing they are most surprised about is that the keyboard is made out of wood.

4 Likes

I go everywhere on a bakfiets. I feel your pain.

4 Likes

My coworker just got one of these!

1 Like

I’m having fun with this so far, was worth the wait!

The one thing that’s been driving me mad, by far, is accidentally hitting enter instead of H; my old keyboard was a MS Natural and G/H are huge targets on it, I’m guessing my fingers need retraining to not aim at the middle of where they’d be. It’ll take a while to get used to the whole {}[]<>() arrangement for coding, and my system’s set to en-GB so it took me an embarrassing amount of time to figure out the #~| keys are reachable on the same keys they’d be on a normal US-labelled keyboard (backslash, pipe and AltGr+backtick).

I usually struggle with different keyboards, other people’s laptops are nigh unusable for me. But surprisingly it’s only been a week and I’m already mostly up to speed with this one. Whenever my extra caps escape fedex purgatory I’ll get to do it all over again :smiley:

1 Like

Just broke my left arm a few days ago - contorting fingers round the cast on a square keyboard is… pretty brutal!

Anyway just wanted to send some positive feedback & good vibes back to the keyboardio team - just moved from tented to flat in order to get better support for my cast & hey presto, I’m back in action. Basically full typing speed in a cast with zero pain!!

emacs use is slowly getting back to normal!

the position of enter key on default layout is seriously weird to begin with - feels like you’re bound to hit butterfly by accident. but keycap shape of ‘butterfly’ & enter totally prevents this from ever actually happening. huge win!

in short, after initial teething problems & fretting over my layout I’ve been pretty blown away how well you guys pulled this off!!! @jesse, @Jennigma all the blood sweat & tears don’t go unnoticed when using this thing!

4 Likes

My left pinky – somehow it’s only the left – wants to float up and sit on the Q rather than the A where it belongs. With an “a” in my password, things got exciting for a few days…

Tab and Enter make me want to tear my hair out, but the thumb buttons are surprisingly intuitive.