Community Intros

Hi, Tim Holt here. I live in Southern California.

I don’t really know what to say here. I’ve already made a couple posts/comments, even though I just ordered my board a couple weeks ago, so that I haven’t gotten it yet.

I’m very excited about receiving my Model 01. I have very specific ideas of how I want it to work. I’m mostly going to use the lights to indicate what mode I’ve got the board in, for example. I might light the vowels a different color from the consonants, or something, for switching between qwerty and dvorak. My numpad will serve as my arrow keys, and will light up differently depending on whether numlock is on. I posted about my layout here, though I’ve made a couple changes since.

I’m excited to experiment with Arduino. I took an AVR assembly class in college, but my favorite language is C++. I’m hoping I’ll be able to use a lot of modern C++ constructs in my code. I also might take my own stab at a GUI layout editor, though it’d be one that follows how I’ve thought about making mine work (different modes—groups of layers—paired with indicative coloring). Until I’ve got more in-depth knowledge of the firmware, I’m just planning on having it literally output a .h file, or something. I might write it in Python.

I ordered the clicky. I feel like, if I’m going to get the ultimate keyboard, I should just go for the one I really want. I’ve kept my eye on this keyboard for a while, though I hadn’t spotted the Kickstarter when it was going on. I agree with every design decision made, especially since the blog posts go into the details so well. I can’t imagine a better keyboard.

I’m a Vim user. My vimrc is nearly 1300 lines long. I currently type in a customized version of the dvorak layout on a Cherry MX-Board 3.0 with blue switches. My most expensive board is, funnily enough, the type cover on my 2017 Surface Pro. It’s actually pretty nice.

I use Windows, though I’ve dabbled in Linux from time to time. I browse using Firefox, because I cannot live without tree style tabs. I’ve got an A.A. in computer science, but not a career in it yet. I want to get into programming—hopefully something that uses C++, though of course that wouldn’t be a requirement.

1 Like