I was able to install the example model100.ino without any issues, but then again I am still on IDE 2.0.1
I am now a bit hesitating to move to IDE 2.0.2, in case that causes something to fail.
The behavior you described (a Model100.ino, and a sketch.json) matches what I see, and does not cause me concern. My personal sketch is broken into multiple files, with the sketch.json just describing the board being used. When I ask the Arduino IDE to verify the code, all the different files needed for my .ino are compiled, and they load fine for me.
As far as I know, the official Model100.ino seems to be here:
One thing you may want to try: reset the firmware on the keyboardio using Chrysalis. In my case, I put the keyboardio in programming mode by pressing the prog key before connecting the keyboardio. Chrysalis then recognizes the keyboardio, but complains that it needs to update the firmware. I then tell it to return to factory settings. Once that is done, I shut down Chrysalis, put the keyboardio back in programming mode, and load my sketch. Apparently, EEPROM has something to do with it not always working. I.e., if you load a firmware that uses EEPROM, change it, and then load another one, the second one may try to use the EEPROM contents that the first one had, and that usually fails. I had that issue many times.
Eventually, I gave up using EEPROM, and I have been able to go from one sketch to the next without any issues.
I will eventually try to use IDE 2.0.2, but I’d like to be able to return to the working one in case something goes wrong.
Shameless plugin: if you want, you can start with my sketch here:
It enables you to just select the board in Arduino IDE, and compile the sketch for the corresponding board. All the plugins I could fit in it have corresponding #define tags on the two configuration files (configurationModel01.h and configurationModel100.h), so I can more easily edit a single file and have the headers files, keymapping, and setup sections added/removed based on that. It has pretty much all I use, except that the passwords.h file is, of course, a fake one, since I do not want to publish that.
All those files show up on my Arduino IDE 2.0.1, and the .ino file includes the needed .h files depending on the board being used.