@SlowHand I’m happy to comment on my personal thoughts on your concerns. I’m actually in Seattle as well!
- Layout/buttons - noticeably better for finger fatigue over Freestyle 2 Quiet Pro?
Having never used the Freestyle, I can’t say for sure, but I will say I love the layout I have going and am now ruined (in a very good way) on any other keyboard
- Function button - do users press or hold down the button to switch to next layer? Thinking a press would be better to toggle between two layers. How difficult for button combinations that use buttons from 2 layers such as highlighting a section of text (control+alt, function then Left arrow?)?
One of the best thing about the Model01 is the plugins you can bring in. I use OneShot to solve the issue you are talking about. This plugin allows a key to be held as a momentary switch, tapped once to be automatically held for the next button, or tapped twice to be turned into a lock hold that key (like caps lock for anything). I use this on all modifier buttons (which I have moved all inline on the left thumb keys) and my palm key.
I also have macros set-up on my 2nd layer, in leiu of the mouse control keys, for basically every chord possible with modifier keys. So I hold or tap the palm key, then tap my chord, release palm key, hit the button to be modded.
Concern of having to switch between layers super often
Honestly, yes, I am CONSTANTLY switching layers, however, the palm key makes it insanely intuitive and fast. I never even notice it until I’m on a keyboard that doesn’t have it (Like right now actually).
Easy to accidentally press function or other buttons?
This completely depends on the layout you use. I do have a bit of a thing with hitting the wrong thumb button at times still, but that’s the only one.
- Lack of buttons - arrow keys primary concern due to example above. Difficulty of “CTRL+ALT+DELETE” since Delete button on a different layer? How big of deal is the lack of f1 to f12 buttons, "media options such as sound on/off, louder/quieter, etc and Print screen buttons?
Least important - extra side buttons to program basic macros to.
Honestly, because of how intuitive it is to use the palm key to access the 2nd layer, I’ve found the Model01 has more buttons than I need. I actually have some buttons that still do basically nothing because I’ve optimized the 2nd layer to have everything I use on a consistent basis right at my home row keys.
I have my function keys on the 2nd layer number row, plus custom slotted buttons for audio controls (right under my arrow keys)
Once again, with the 2nd layer so accessible, I believe you actually have faster access to more buttons, without ever taking your fingers so far away from the home row.
- Sharp buttons - a few users say they found the knobs on some of the buttons sharp/uncomfortable. Is it noticeably bad?
This is fully subjective. I’ve found them more appealing and comfortable than others.
- Palm rest - do users find it better to hover or rest palms/wrists? If rest, is it comfortable or need a palm rest?
To me, the bare wood actually feels really good. I could say it feels grounding to have my hands rest on wood while I’m surrounded by electronics.
- Stable while tented - heard in the past, keyboard would wobble typing in tented form, has this been addressed?
I think this was with the octostands themselves, which some reported issues (though mine are stable). It’s only as stable as the mounts. This is because it uses something others don’t, camera mounts! That means you have infinitely more options on the ways to mount it.
- Tenting - max degree angle 10 or 15 degrees with default legs?
Yeah, not a lot of tent in default legs. But as I said just a moment ago, you can get a set of camera mounts for decent that will solve any and all of your tenting needs. No other keyboard let’s you do that!
- Wood - how heavy is the keyboard? How thick?
It’s pretty light actually. I travel with it a lot (without the octostands, really need to buy a 2nd one though) as I commute by bike and bus, and it’s never been a nuisance.
Size, well, it’s not small (especially with the octostands), but smaller than I thought and I know there are a lot of people that said the same. It fits in my 15" computer sleeve and is highly transportable, but is not the “take everywhere with my computer” kind of way.
- DIY- I am not a DIY guy and overwhelmed with the array of suggestions for palm rests and tenting solutions (looking for one that allows 5-50 degree tenting). Concerned about finding a solution that rests at correct height/angle and doesn’t interfere with button access.
Any wide consensus on best solution for:
Palm Rests? Seen Purple Pillow swatches came up. Anybody been able to buy the sample swatches without buying the pillow?
I would honestly try it without them first. I had bought 3 different wrist rest things to try with it, ended up scrapping them all and just relaxing with the wood.
Tenting-read some users using various mounts, such as RAM mounts:
If so, what type/size all components did you buy for your set-up?
I can’t answer this one as I don’t have them… However, I will say that I’ve seen many people here use these: https://www.arkon.com/product/RM0861420-camera-clamp-mount.html
Anything else I’m happy to comment.