Runic keycap layout

That’s probably what it actually represents. After all, black einkorn came from Asia Minor, which is a large region in which the mystery language represented by Linear A may have been spoken.

To those who found the humanoid ideograms objectionable: would your opinion be the same if the Archer and/or the Shepherd were on the palm keys?

I’d rather see a stylized butterfly on those keys (if at all possible), or even leaving them blank (the key will be mostly covered by my hand anyway).

1 Like

By far my favorite idea is the butterfly logo (preferably with the outline-only wings, but even the regular logo looks much better than anything else to me), but I’m growing to really dislike the “butterfly that’s not the Keyboardio logo” idea. If there was an existing Linear A ideogram for a butterfly, maybe I’d be able to get on board with the idea, but there isn’t one. I’ve tried a few times to make a butterfly-ish symbol, but I just can’t do it. I don’t want to stifle other people’s ideas, but I just get stuck.

I’d be okay with it if they were blank, but I plan to use those keys (and only those keys, not the whole keyboard) to indicate the active layer, so I want the color to be plainly visible at a glance. I expect it’ll be better if there’s some kind of label for the light to shine through, rather than just relying on leakage around the base, even if it’s just a dot (which might provide the “eye spots” look).

The reason I want to use just the palm keys for this is that I want that indicator as far from my regular line of sight as possible, but easy to check at a glance whenever I want to. Keys that are covered by my hands when I’m typing are perfect for this.

Is there a deadline for the layout? @jesse

The laser company just closed for Chinese New Year. I’m not yet happy with the quality of the samples they’ve been returning for QWERTY. I don’t expect to get the next round of QWERTY samples to Feb 10 or Feb 15. And we’re not going to give them any other legends to screw up until they get QWERTY right. So, um, we’ve got some time :confused:

It may end up being the case that none of the alternate legends have to be locked until I’m physically present in Shenzhen the week of Feb 27.

You can imagine how happy I am about how slow this is going :confused:

It must be so frustrating. I’m sorry it’s going so slowly.

However, that means I’ll have plenty of time to help with the missing symbols from early February on (should the layout not be finished until then). I have an important deadline coming up on January 31st and won’t be able to do much of anything until then, unfortunately.

1 Like

Since this thread about runic keycaps started, I’m not in any hurry anymore ; it gives us plenty of time to nitpick about which characters to use, and I see that as a positive thing, like @Simon-Claudius !

Slow and steady wins the race, they say.

That being said, what @merlin says about the palm keys make a huge load of sense to me. If a butterfly is out of the question, how about a simple ellipsis (filled or not) of the proportions of the palm key ?

I think you meant “ellipse”, but I think an ellipsis would look pretty good, too, if the dots were big enough.

2 Likes

One more (likely impractical) idea for the palm keys: a thick band around the base, so when the LEDs are on, it would really look like the eyespots of an owl butterfly.

1 Like

H[quote=“merlin, post:273, topic:14, full:true”]
One more (likely impractical) idea for the palm keys: a thick band around the base, so when the LEDs are on, it would really look like the eyespots of an owl butterfly.
[/quote]

The engraving has to be on the top surface. But I was thinking that a larger circle all around the top might be interesting. Or even a larger bull’s-eye shape in the middle

1 Like

Not surprising, but I don’t know where the boundary between “top surface” and “side surface” is on those keys. Is it well-defined?

They’re contoured. There isn’t a sharp line. One thing to keep in mind is that I don’t trust the laser company to accurately do something close to the edge without misaligning it by a few mm.

1 Like

I think that large circles/rings on all the keys would be an interesting layout.

1 Like

I think Jesse has already addressed that:

And given the current frustrations with the laser company, I don’t think that position will change any time soon. :frowning:

Could you please post an image of what 𐙭 (U+1066D) and 𐘩 (U+10629) would look like on the palm keys?

You are correct, of course. I didn’t consider that when writing my comment.

I’m liking this more and more. Thanks for your work.

My personal preference would be for the palm keys to stay blank, or to have something not resembling the other symbols, like the line all the way around like Jesse suggested.

This would be a great idea on a unibody keyboard, but for the split-hand Model 01 I am not sure the design will be comprehensible as a whole.