Runic keycap layout

I like the candelabra. The only one where I see an optical illusion re: centered-ness is the “dogs” - which I would have switched, so they’re facing each other (but I’m not wild about that one, anyway).

Assuming that we’re getting closer to this having to be printed on actual keycaps, are there any thoughts on how to move on? @merlin, any thoughts on how to progress or how we could support you?

We could have a poll to quantify people’s preferences, but the tricky bit is choosing the candidates, because they come in pairs, so there are many possibilities. An additional problem I have is that my own favourites are not generally well-liked. I don’t have the impression that there are just two or three combinations that are obvious top contenders, but I’ll re-read this discussion and see if I can come up with a few candidates that best reflect the expressed opinions to date.

I know I’ve failed to do a few of the mockups that I promised – sorry about that. I’ve been rather busy with other things for a while.

6 Likes

Well, it’s not like there’s been a burning time-crunch. :wink: I greatly appreciate all the effort you’ve already put in, @merlin.

Realistically, the earliest I’m looking at even being able to ASK for a sample of the runic caps is about 1-2 weeks from now.

(Also, I do want to be really clear that this isn’t a democracy. It’s more of a lazy dictatorship. For the runic caps, I’m going to make a final call.

No single set of legends is ever going to end up with 100% of folks falling in love with them and I’m usually a big fan of a a coherent artistic vision by a designer over a popularity contest.

I expect to just rubber stamp whatever @merlin picks, with the caveat that the dual butterflies make me a little uncomfortable as I’ve mentioned before. I’ll run them by Kaia, though, to see if she can convince me otherwise.)

6 Likes

In that case, I’ll try to put together a poll sometime in the next few days. My main goal will be to pick something that has the largest number of people finding it at least acceptable, even if that’s not the one that gets the highest average score. Ideally, nobody who wants a runic keycap set will so dislike the symbols chosen so much that it ruins the whole thing for them. Basically, I’m more interested in what people hate than what they like best.

I will probably be slow to respond here for at least a few days, as I’m busy with some construction projects and tax return preparation at the moment, so please bear with me.

1 Like

Regarding polling:

(from http://ncase.me/ballot/)

Does the software behind this site’s polling feature allow score voting?
(Which, incidentally, would give you info on which choices are the least acceptable by looking at which choices got the most low-score votes.)

2 Likes

You mean something like this?

1 Like

Yes, mostly (score voting sums the votes, instead of averaging). :smiley:
Hopefully the creator of the poll has access to the exact counts behind each number; that is key (an average isn’t helpful if you have a bimodal distribution).

That particular poll only shows the average… there are others that show vote count (or at least vote percent, per option). I’ve made a sample post with all the available options a while back.

We can use those with reasonable ease. I don’t think the vote has to be perfect, as Jesse will make the final call anyway. If it’s useful enough as a guideline, that should be chabuduo.

2 Likes

I finally got enough tax returns done to get back to working on the Linear A keycaps. I’ve made three designs, and set up a poll to see how many people approve of each option. Vote for all the ones you like!

8 Likes

I’m sure I speak for everyone, but thanks for getting this all together. It’s made it a lot easier to think about what it’s going to look like when it’s all laid out nicely!

8 Likes

So… what’s the status on being able to order a runic keycap layout? Will that become a possibility?

2 Likes

The latest backer update has a section on this, which I’ll quote here to make things easier:

As we’ve mentioned before, all keyboards are shipping with QWERTY keycaps. Any extra keycap sets we owe you will ship later under separate cover. The factory says that the tooling for the packaging for the extra keycap sets has been completed, but we haven’t seen samples or photos of it yet.

The factory really doesn’t want to produce the ‘extra’ keycap sets until keyboard production is properly in hand.

To help control shipping costs and shorten timelines, we’re looking at shipping your keycaps to you directly from the factory. As we know more, we’ll definitely tell you.

When filling out the BackerKit survey, you should have had an option to buy extra keysets, including the runic one (Linear A), which will ship separately. I suppose the same keysets will be available later in the shop too.

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying!

1 Like

It’s extra nice in-person :ok_hand:

1 Like