Windows 7: COM Port for Model 01 not showing up

@Gaye - It looks like you are hitting two speed bumps in the road to success here.

The first issue you are running into is that (for some reason) the Arduino IDE is running the command from a different directory than it does for me. And in your case, the path to that directory has spaces in it. Spaces in command line commands are a problem. So to work around that, we need to surround the paths with the spaces in quotes as @rumpel mentioned. I would also replace the forward slashes with back slashes. So the command for you becomes:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avrdude" -C"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\etc\avrdude.conf" -v -patmega32u4 -cavr109 -PCOM5 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\Gaye\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_830835\Model01-Firmware.ino.hex:i

You may need to update the number in the build_830835 part if you have restarted the Arduino IDE at all.

The second issue is that you said you cannot hit enter on the keyboard to run the command. I’ve edited the main instructions above so it has a “Part 4: Run the command” Option B You do not have a second keyboard you can plug in and are not on a laptop or your laptop keyboard does not work section that should help you run the command. Unfortunately there is a little acrobatics involved in that you need to get the command to start running as quickly as possible after the prog light come on.

I know these instructions can be daunting for people that are not use to using the command line. For us programmers or “power users” it is second nature. And this is a convoluted workaround that we hope to simplify soon. But until we do, it’s the best we have. I’m happy (as are other community members) to help work through this with you until we get it up and running for you.

Give the command I show above a try. If it doesn’t work, I’d recommend starting from the very beginning of my instructions and slowly working through them. Ultimately, your command should look like the one I just posted in this reply with only the number in the arduino_build_830835 directory changing. If you still have issues, just let us know what is happening and we’ll try and help you out.

1 Like