A better tented stand

Find a friend with a 3D printer? Or if you have woodworking skills this would be easy to cut out of a block of wood. I just use a 3D printer because I happen to have one and it’s fun. :slight_smile:

There’s a reason we tell you you need the stands if you’re going to use the tented center bar on a desk.

I hadn’t noticed this. I don’t quite follow. When I use the tented center bar, I use it on it’s own. Am I supposed to use it together with the spider stands? That doesn’t make sense to me - the spider stands impart their own angle. If I attach them, I don’t really need the tent bar. What am I misunderstanding here?

On its own, the bar does not provide enough support. In the manual describing how to use the center bar, we tell you that if you ar going to use the tented center bar with the keyboard on a flat surface, you need to use the stands. At their maximum tent, the stands are designed to match the center bar.

Earlier versions of the center bar ( before the stands existed) had flip out feet. The experience was, unfortunately, sub par.

The thing I’m still unclear on is, if I already have the stands on, what do I gain with the tented center bar? Is it just to keep the halves close, since they already get their angle from the stands?

Yep. Some people just want to make sure that the two halves stay positioned relative to each other.

1 Like

I am running late for a thing so I can’t post these files to Thingiverse yet but I am happy with this revision of the stand.

1 Like

Okay, if anyone wants to make one of their own, I have the files up for download at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2803754

It shouldn’t be too hard to adapt this to a wooden schematic for those who prefer to just cut $3 worth of wood instead of extruding a bunch of hot plastic for two hours.

4 Likes

The problem with that design is that you end up with only three feet per half instead of four. While this is stable for any load that’s centred within the triangle formed by the feet, your hands will probably end up resting on or near the front edge of the keyboard, meaning it may unexpectedly tilt forwards.

If the octopus feet are too large for you, you could try fixing a 2cm-thick block of a softer material to the bottom of your tented centre bar. This is not 100% correct, as the outside feet are not all the same distance away from the centre and so there will be a very slight twisting moment - however if you use a soft material (such as a cardboard box) the block should be able to absorb the imperfection without stressing the keyboard.

See Custom Mounts - What are your ideas?

1 Like

Well, I’ve been using these for a few hours now and haven’t had any problems with instability. :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing. A colleague printed me a pair over the weekend and they work perfectly.

I’m curious how far we could take this method. How steep of an angle will work with this type of stand?

I am also curious about the limits of using the center mount alone. I know that it is a standard camera mount, but I’m curious how well it will be supported if I just use a camera tripod as my keyboard stand. Is it sufficiently supported under the keyboard so that the plastic wont warp, or do I need some kind of support to make sure there isn’t too much torque on the plastic?

It might sound funny but with my Ergodox I went to the Dollar Store and bought some 1" rubber door stops and stuck them on with Velcro.

3 Likes

If I were smart i’d have tried that first. :slight_smile:

I’m probably going to target something closer to 2" myself, but that is a fantastic solution.

Thank you for suggesting it.

Incidentally I ended up redesigning these to have four feet, and improved the finishing instructions to add more stability.

1 Like

I just came across this post, since I had never really read the manual and just applied the center bar and started using it right away. I really dislike the octo feet since they’re kind of really thick and make the keyboard too high for me to use comfortably. Looking at the post here, it seems like the major point is providing support for the keyboard’s weight, so if I place a small box or a piece of cloth under each half, is that enough to avoid this potential issue? I’d be really disappointed if I had to end up using the keyboard flat just so I would avoid damaging it, especially since it’s nowhere near obvious that using the center bar must be done in conjunction with the octo feet (even the product photos on the main page don’t show this as necessary)

I support mine with a small paper medicine box that I had lying around on my desk and happens to be just the right size. No flex, excellent support.

2 Likes

It seems pretty easy to miss the warning or to downplay it even if you do see it, yeah. Maybe for future manufacturing rubs there should be an easily-removed warning sticker applied to the tenting bar that ensures that anyone who uses it is aware? Like:

STOP!
Using this tenting bar without adequate support for the keyboard halves will damage your enclosures.
See the product manual for more information.

And then the manual could include some pictures of the damage, the warranty warning, and some alternatives to the octo stand.

1 Like

So, I’ve had my tented center bar supported pretty much the entire time I’ve been using the keyboard (first with a couple pads of sticky notes stacked to the right height, now with some ersatz feet glued on) and I can now see some bowing of the wood. Based on that I don’t think I’d say that supporting the center bar is enough to prevent warping. I guess I’ll see about printing some supports for the threaded mounts at the public library.

1 Like

Argh, sorry to hear that. That’s a bummer, it sounds like I’ll have to use them flat them since I don’t have access to a 3D printer or woodworking tools. Really disappointed that something so basic is overlooked in something that costs this much.

1 Like