Accidental ENTER

Fn-Space is, in fact, already mapped as a second Enter key. That might be ‘good enough’ for you. I’d love to know how it feels.

1 Like

In retrospect, I feel silly having worried that Enter would require too much reaching. Plot twist: it’s actually too close!

In any event, Jennifer, you are not alone. I’m going to try to stick it out with the default layout, but Enter could definitely get moved on my unit.

3 Likes

I’m gonna put Enter right beside Backspace on the thumb cluster! I wonder what that’ll do. But it’s gonna be so very cozy!

I’m quite happy with Enter as Fn-Space. (This is what Fn-Space does on the default layout.) Obviously everyone’s experience may vary, but I’m just throwing it out there as my personal experience.

2 Likes

By contrast, I’m having trouble with overshooting on the left hand and hitting Tab by accident! I think it’s mostly a hand position thing.

@jesse - Yes, I find I’ve been using Fn-Space rather than the native Enter key, but I think I’ll still map a native Enter onto C8R2. That’s just a personal preference of course, and entirely kinesis-derived.

[EDIT - can’t remember the grid codes offhand, counted wrong]

1 Like

I wasn’t aware of Fn+Space. I’ll try it out today when I work on my novel.

1 Like

I’ve had a similar mapping on a “regular” keyboard (right alt + space producing enter) for over a year and I like it a lot!

1 Like

Me too. On my ErgoDox the inner thumb keys of both hands are shift and a symbol layer toggle. When both are hit in arbitrary order - I call this a key cluster - it triggers enter. Works like a charm and is very easy to get used to.

See info about my ErgoDox layout and about Papageno, a library I wrote that provides the features necessary.

I am currently working on a Papageno plugin for Kaleidoscope.

3 Likes

A quick update after nearly a week: While I only remember to do this about half of the time, I find Fn+Space to be better UX than reaching for the labeled Enter key.

1 Like

if you’d like to get that functionality into your Model01, I’ve written Kaleidoscope-ModRight for just that purpose! 8^)

3 Likes

Agreed. Have you implemented one shot modifiers yet? If not, you’re in for a treat.

I haven’t felt like one-shots would help me a whole lot. I can see it working well if I had to enter a lot of numbers, but I don’t. What combinations does it help you with?

I find one-shots useful on modifier keys if you use a lot of shortcuts, because it makes chording much more comfortable, as you don’t need to contort your hand to hold the modifier + other key; especially with how the thumb keys are, it makes it feasible to have only one of each modifier, instead of having one on each thumb arc.

1 Like

I don’t use numbers in most of my typing, work or non-work. But I use it for capital letters and punctuation. Not having to hold down shift to get “I” or double quotes, question mark, dollar sign, etc. is really nice. Just a thought, I didn’t think I’d like it so much or find it so useful.

2 Likes

One-shots allow you to put modifiers on the thumb arc, and allow you to have only one of each (assuming you don’t need AltGr), letting you put other keys on the base layer. It also allows you to stop chording, which is something a number of people find uncomfortable.

A while ago, I wrote a blog post about one-shots and other multi-use keys, with slightly longer explanations, and perhaps more use cases, if anyone’s interested.

3 Likes

Agree. I’m not someone who writes much code, but OneShot is something I need to export to my laptop keyboard somehow.

This post from @algernon’s blog does a good job explaining the various benefits:

https://asylum.madhouse-project.org/blog/2016/10/15/multi-purpose-keys/

Subjectively, my hands feel so much lighter and more relaxed when I don’t have to hold down keys. I had never noticed it as an issue until suddenly it wasn’t. Kind of like when I first got glasses. I didn’t know anything was off until I discovered what was possible. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

As someone who only recently got corrected vision, this is a pretty convincing post.

4 Likes

I’ve had some luck with training-away accidental enter by adding a gritty-feeling alphabet glitter sticker temporarily on the edge of enter. It’s a handy tactile reference. The only case it doesn’t fix is when I start a sentence with an H like ‘haha’

1 Like

Would you be interested in flavored ice cubes?

1 Like

Nice! except for being emotionally allergic to glitter. :slight_smile: The thought of polluting the nether regions of my computer with craft herp- no, bad metaphor. Do not want!

I’ve attenuated it fairly well at this point.

The one that was harder for me to attenuate was page up/page down. I have never developed a habit of using those, so I switched them to up/down arrow. I want to figure out the right placement for left/right arrow-- FN-H and FN-L aren’t working for me. I have never been enough of a gamer to use WASD habitually, so I haven’t decided where I want them. Swapping page movement for line movement has been splendid, though.

3 Likes