Accidental ENTER

Glitters not working of Jennigma (best name ever). Any chance for a shock option?

1 Like

I have some little textured grippy pads I use as tactile markers on my loom that should work well.

I just got my Model 01 over the weekend and this has been my most problematic typo, although I suspect that if today had been heavy on text editing over other communication that B/Esc would have ranked up there.

For me it seems that it’s sloppiness developed over years of using a MS Natural keyboard with an overlarge ‘H’ key.

2 Likes

Yes, please bump it a little further, or maybe raise the edge of the key that’s next to it. (F, H)

For keycap shape modifications, I’ve had a lot of luck with Sugru. (That’s actually how I first prototyped thumb and palm keys)

1 Like

Those two are now Home and End for me, with the page keys on the Fn layer. I hardly ever use the page up/down keys, but use the others very frequently. (and would use them more often if Mac applications were more consistent in how they’re interpretted!)

3 Likes

Man, even my sticker hack wasn’t enough. I moved enter to the butterfly and it solves everything. I can now easily hit it with the thumb of my giant hands! Not sure why I don’t accidentally hit tab all the time, maybe my left hand is more coordinated from playing bass guitar for years.

4 Likes

I tried that for a couple hours and decided it was better where it was. Butterfly is backspace. I mouse lefty, so like having a backspace on the left.

1 Like

I find that having the same key defined on each side of the M01 is extremely useful.

I tried to puzzle through a symmetric layout, but didn’t figure one out that would work for me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, that’s too much work. I didn’t got for symmetry but something that doesn’t drastically deviate from default. I try to use the open spaces or will reassign some keys that I’ll probably never use.

thumbs are now (left-right) ctrl, bksp, shift, alt — cmd, ctrl, space, shift

enter is defined in 3 places: enter key on RM01 and fn + space, on LM01 its fn + v (because I’ll probably never use middle mouse click)

escape is default on LM01, and fn + cmd on RM01

windows key is cmd (moved to right thumb row) on RM01, and fn + alt on LM01 (alt moved from RM01 to left thumb row)

I left ctrl default on LM01 because its conducive to copying and pasting, ctrl-c, ctrl-v and its comfortable there. That same key position is shift on the RM01, again because my thumbs naturally hit the inner thumb arcs easier than reaching for the outer arc(s).

Re: your request to pros and cons of different layouts, if I knew enough I’d help out but I don’t
know enough to write about it… I just go for what works for me.

1 Like

Yeah, me too. I just couldn’t make up my mind, which half of the alphabet to omit. :wink:

4 Likes

I lose the outer two thumb keys for all intents and purposes, so have fewer non-alphanumeric keys to play with.

accidental escape for b is the worst one for me - makes sense when you look where ‘b’ is on a square keyboard! Can’t blame keyboardio for the worst-placed key on a typewriter though…

1 Like

You don’t need to do that; just put the other half on a different layer!

Kidding aside, there are keyboards for one-handed people that do just that.

3 Likes

…and that makes me think — does the left half of a Model01 work on its own, without the right half connected?

1 Like

experimentation required!

3 Likes

Survey says: YES

[it also says that post is too short, and is emphatically annoying about it]

4 Likes

Late to the party here, but I do that all the time too. I think I’m gradually getting better. But yeah, I’ve sent a lot of messages early too!

2 Likes

I placed Enter where the right hand Shift key originally was. I also placed both Shifts next to Backspace and Space, i.e. I have now: ctrl - bksp - shift - cmd || enter (cap says alt) - shift - space - ctrl

I’m using shift much more than cmd/enter so I think it much easier to type now that I don’t have to reach for the shift key as far.

I also did some other remapping, but this discussion was about the Enter key. :slight_smile:

2 Likes