Accidental ENTER

If I were learning fresh, I would swap ENTER to BUTTERFLY.

That’s my second mod, after oneshot, thanks for the suggestion! The butterfly is easy to hit with my thumb, and hard to hit by accident, so this is perfect.

Not sure what to do with the enter and tab keys yet. So far they are prime candidates for trimming in my imaginary portable version.

What if we shifted that column down one? Any, Enter, Butterfly?

Any - Butterfly
Enter - Any
Butterfly - Enter

on the left side we have led, tab, esc; led would complement butterfly well, any - tab, esc - enter.

I added a shift-to-layer for this that mirrors ‘the other half of the board’, and it’s better than I’d hoped. One shot modifying SHIFT lets me modify a mirrored key. In this way last night I only brought my left keyboard half and plugged it into my phone to bang out some emails. I’m shifting to the reverse layer with the innermost thumb key (ctrl is the label).

7 Likes

I’m a bit late to this discussion, but…

I too hit Enter when stretching for H (well, D since I’ve remapped to dvorak), but only when seated. Using the standing desk in my office at home I haven’t noticed it happening. I’ve now brought it twice when commuting to the office, which has a sitting desk, and am hitting unintentional Enter a lot…

2 Likes

Now that is interesting. I often stand to type at work too, not using varidesk or any height adjustable desk yet. I’ve noticed fewer mistakes while standing also (on a kinesis at work though). I’ll have to give this a try.

As an additional data point, once I tented my keyboard heavily (40 or so degrees, I think - judging by eye), I’m noticing fewer accidental key presses, but like @bracher, this is only when standing. I sit down, and my fingers just lose it :expressionless:

I’ve found that I also make fewer errors with the keyboard tented - even just using the octo-stands is enough, but that with it flat, I’m now getting d along with the enter key press. Fortunately, bash doesn’t do anything particularly odd when you type ‘lsd’ - it just doesn’t know what to do with it.

2 Likes

But you could teach bash via an alias to do the right thing when you enter lsd. And you are not alone. Just remember covfefe.

Ok, forget that. Just a bad joke comming from a german :wink: