Archlinux cannot find Arduino.h

I am using the latest version of arduino from the official repositories 1.8.8, and installed it through the distro’s base package manager. I have added to my rc file export ARDUINO_PATH=/usr/share/arduino the location arduino installed to, but the arduino system is unable to find arduino.h.

Upon booting it warns: The current selected board needs the core ‘arduino:arduino’ that is not installed.

Upon trying to verify the firmware example per https://github.com/keyboardio/Kaleidoscope/wiki/Install-Arduino-support-on-Linux I get the following error message. I’ve been searching around for a while but have not had any luck uncovering what is needed to fix it.

he current selected board needs the core ‘arduino:arduino’ that is not installed.
WARNING: Category ‘Debug’ in library Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Virtual is not valid. Setting to ‘Uncategorized’
sketch/Model01-Firmware.ino.cpp:1:21: fatal error: Arduino.h: No such file or directory
#include <Arduino.h>
^
compilation terminated.
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Keyboardio Model 01.

Arch is a little weird in its Arduino packaging, you’ll have to tweak a thing or two to be able to use it. It’s probably easier to download the Arduino tarball, extract it somewhere, and use that.

Nevertheless, there’s an older thread where people shared how they got the firmware build and flashing work with Arch’s Arduino package:

Hope this helps!

Awesome, thank you for the info. For the time being I will just install everything manually as there are a few keymapping changes I want to make. I generally don’t like free floating packages though so will likely try and get the arch package working. Thanks again for the help.

I’m not a fan of them either, but Arduino can conveniently lib in a subdirectory of your sketch, which makes it acceptably well contained for me.