Trouble Building Model01-Firmware (macOS Sierra)

I’m having trouble building Model01-Firmware. Running make flash gives the following output:

Building output/Model01-Firmware/Model01-Firmware (0.0.0-gv1.13-45-gc48e) ...
In file included from /Users/me/Code/Model01-Firmware/Model01-Firmware.ino:17:0: /Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Kaleidoscope/src/Kaleidoscope.h:23:33: fatal error: Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Model01.h: No such file or directory
 #include KALEIDOSCOPE_HARDWARE_H
                                 ^
compilation terminated.
exit status 1
make: *** [flash] Error 1

The only place I see KALEIDOSCOPE_HARDWARE_H defined is in ~/SKETCHBOOK_DIR/hardware/keyboardio/avr/boards.txt. I tried building from Arduino with the correct board selected and encountered the same issue.

On my system gcc is Apple LLVM version 8.1.0 (clang-802.0.42). I am running macOS Sierra (10.12.6).

1 Like

Kate,

When you say ~/SKETCHBOOK_DIR/hardware/keyboardio/avr/boards.txt,
is that the literal path? I suspect the issue is that you have things unpacked into not quite the right place.

(On OSX, it should be ~/Documents/Arduino/hardware)

I should add that even on OSX, the Keyboardio firmware is built with ‘genuine’ GCC. Arduino includes an avr-gcc ‘cross-compiler’ which knows how to output machine code for the chip that powers the Model 01. The system compiler (clang) builds binaries that will run on your Mac, but doesn’t know how to compile to avr.

One other option for getting up and running is Feedback requested: simplified software installation – As of now, this may not get you commandline builds, but should get you to building and flashing firmware much more quickly from within the Arduino IDE

1 Like

The error message says ~/Documents/Arduino/hardware, and it seems it can’t find the Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Model01.h file, which in turn suggests submodules not being completely checked out. Either a make update-submodules command in ~/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr, or using the bundle @jesse mentioned above could help, hopefully. The latter is probably the easier route.

1 Like

Thanks for asking questions! I’m working on the docs, so finding the trouble spots people have and resolving them is extremely helpful right now!

I would love to get your opinion of Jesse’s new process, if you’re so inclined. Please post lots of questions! we want the process to be smooth and trouble free. :slight_smile:

Sorry for the confusion, I manually edited SKETCHBOOK_DIR into that line because it was an awkward length to be in a paragraph. /Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr is the keyboardio/Arduino-Boards repo checked out recursively with submodules. Running mdfind -name Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Model01.h returns one file:

• /Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Model01/src/Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Model01.h

I’m happier not using the Arduino IDE if possible but I’ll try the alternative directions.

Understood. (FWIW, I consider that a debugging step more than anything else)

Using the Additional Board Manager method gives me the same error (with a slightly different path). Now mdfind -name Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Model01.h returns two locations:

• /Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Model01/src/Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Model01.h
  • /Users/me/Library/Arduino15/packages/Keyboardio/hardware/avr/1.1.5/libraries/Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Model01/src/Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Model01.h

Is there more information I can provide about my system?

This was the error you reported:

These are the paths where you found the docs:

They don’t match.

Something is wonky with your PATH definitions. Without looking at your files and environment variables I’m not sure what created the mismatch, but I expect that’s the core of your issue. I encountered similar issues the first time I tried to build the firmware.

If you feel like puzzling it out, please let us know what you find! Otherwise let’s talk more in the morning, unless one of the other folks here can pinpoint the issue better.

The ‘Board Manager’ setup is installing a second copy of everything into Library/Arduino15, so that’s not entirely wrong.

Within the Arduino IDE, you can enable verbose compilation messages from within the Preferences pane.

Can you copy-paste the output of a failed build within the IDE?

I think she’s trying to work from the current readme instructions, not the IDE. I recall having to do things to my PATH that weren’t documented in the readme in order to get it working, but I wasn’t taking notes at that point. I’m interested in smoothing out that process for folks as well as the IDE process.

@Jennigma it is entirely possible I missed an undocumented step, I only followed the instructions in the Readme.

@jesse here is the output with verbose compilation from inside the Arduino IDE:

/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware" -hardware "/Users/me/Library/Arduino15/packages" -hardware "/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware" -tools "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/tools-builder" -tools "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr" -tools "/Users/me/Library/Arduino15/packages" -built-in-libraries "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/libraries" -libraries "/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/libraries" -fqbn=keyboardio:avr:model01 -ide-version=10607 -build-path "/var/folders/w6/x7gjqjvs0lncp9h6j81_v54h0000gn/T/buildb056035125ec41edbaf4a12e4ba5cebd.tmp" -warnings=none -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -verbose "/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Model01-Firmware/Model01-Firmware.ino"
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/arduino-builder -compile -logger=machine -hardware "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware" -hardware "/Users/me/Library/Arduino15/packages" -hardware "/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware" -tools "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/tools-builder" -tools "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr" -tools "/Users/me/Library/Arduino15/packages" -built-in-libraries "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/libraries" -libraries "/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/libraries" -fqbn=keyboardio:avr:model01 -ide-version=10607 -build-path "/var/folders/w6/x7gjqjvs0lncp9h6j81_v54h0000gn/T/buildb056035125ec41edbaf4a12e4ba5cebd.tmp" -warnings=none -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -verbose "/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Model01-Firmware/Model01-Firmware.ino"
"/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_AVR_MODEL01 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -Woverloaded-virtual -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-ignored-qualifiers -DUSB_VID=0x1209 -DUSB_PID=0x2301 '-DUSB_MANUFACTURER="Keyboardio"' '-DUSB_PRODUCT="Model 01"' -DKALEIDOSCOPE_HARDWARE_H="Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Model01.h" "-I/Users/me/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/avr/1.6.10/cores/arduino" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/variants/model01" "/var/folders/w6/x7gjqjvs0lncp9h6j81_v54h0000gn/T/buildb056035125ec41edbaf4a12e4ba5cebd.tmp/sketch/Model01-Firmware.ino.cpp" -o "/dev/null"
"/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_AVR_MODEL01 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -Woverloaded-virtual -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-ignored-qualifiers -DUSB_VID=0x1209 -DUSB_PID=0x2301 '-DUSB_MANUFACTURER="Keyboardio"' '-DUSB_PRODUCT="Model 01"' -DKALEIDOSCOPE_HARDWARE_H="Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Model01.h" "-I/Users/me/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/avr/1.6.10/cores/arduino" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/variants/model01" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Kaleidoscope/src" "/var/folders/w6/x7gjqjvs0lncp9h6j81_v54h0000gn/T/buildb056035125ec41edbaf4a12e4ba5cebd.tmp/sketch/Model01-Firmware.ino.cpp" -o "/dev/null"
"/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_AVR_MODEL01 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -Woverloaded-virtual -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-ignored-qualifiers -DUSB_VID=0x1209 -DUSB_PID=0x2301 '-DUSB_MANUFACTURER="Keyboardio"' '-DUSB_PRODUCT="Model 01"' -DKALEIDOSCOPE_HARDWARE_H="Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Model01.h" "-I/Users/me/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/avr/1.6.10/cores/arduino" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/variants/model01" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Kaleidoscope/src" "/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Kaleidoscope/src/Kaleidoscope.cpp" -o "/dev/null"
"/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_AVR_MODEL01 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -Woverloaded-virtual -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-ignored-qualifiers -DUSB_VID=0x1209 -DUSB_PID=0x2301 '-DUSB_MANUFACTURER="Keyboardio"' '-DUSB_PRODUCT="Model 01"' -DKALEIDOSCOPE_HARDWARE_H="Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Model01.h" "-I/Users/me/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/avr/1.6.10/cores/arduino" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/variants/model01" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Kaleidoscope/src" "/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Kaleidoscope/src/kaleidoscope/hid.cpp" -o "/dev/null"
"/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_AVR_MODEL01 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -Woverloaded-virtual -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-ignored-qualifiers -DUSB_VID=0x1209 -DUSB_PID=0x2301 '-DUSB_MANUFACTURER="Keyboardio"' '-DUSB_PRODUCT="Model 01"' -DKALEIDOSCOPE_HARDWARE_H="Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Model01.h" "-I/Users/me/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/avr/1.6.10/cores/arduino" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/variants/model01" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Kaleidoscope/src" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/KeyboardioHID/src" "/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Kaleidoscope/src/kaleidoscope/hid.cpp" -o "/dev/null"
"/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_AVR_MODEL01 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -Woverloaded-virtual -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-ignored-qualifiers -DUSB_VID=0x1209 -DUSB_PID=0x2301 '-DUSB_MANUFACTURER="Keyboardio"' '-DUSB_PRODUCT="Model 01"' -DKALEIDOSCOPE_HARDWARE_H="Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Model01.h" "-I/Users/me/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/avr/1.6.10/cores/arduino" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/variants/model01" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/HID/src" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Kaleidoscope/src" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/KeyboardioHID/src" "/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Kaleidoscope/src/kaleidoscope/hid.cpp" -o "/dev/null"
"/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_AVR_MODEL01 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -Woverloaded-virtual -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-ignored-qualifiers -DUSB_VID=0x1209 -DUSB_PID=0x2301 '-DUSB_MANUFACTURER="Keyboardio"' '-DUSB_PRODUCT="Model 01"' -DKALEIDOSCOPE_HARDWARE_H="Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Model01.h" "-I/Users/me/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/avr/1.6.10/cores/arduino" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/variants/model01" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Kaleidoscope/src" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/KeyboardioHID/src" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/HID/src" "/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Kaleidoscope/src/key_events.cpp" -o "/dev/null"
"/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_AVR_MODEL01 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -Woverloaded-virtual -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-ignored-qualifiers -DUSB_VID=0x1209 -DUSB_PID=0x2301 '-DUSB_MANUFACTURER="Keyboardio"' '-DUSB_PRODUCT="Model 01"' -DKALEIDOSCOPE_HARDWARE_H="Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Model01.h" "-I/Users/me/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/avr/1.6.10/cores/arduino" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/variants/model01" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Kaleidoscope/src" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/KeyboardioHID/src" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/HID/src" "/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Kaleidoscope/src/layers.cpp" -o "/dev/null"
"/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_AVR_MODEL01 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -Woverloaded-virtual -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-ignored-qualifiers -DUSB_VID=0x1209 -DUSB_PID=0x2301 '-DUSB_MANUFACTURER="Keyboardio"' '-DUSB_PRODUCT="Model 01"' -DKALEIDOSCOPE_HARDWARE_H="Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Model01.h" "-I/Users/me/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/avr/1.6.10/cores/arduino" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/variants/model01" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/HID/src" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Kaleidoscope/src" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/KeyboardioHID/src" "/var/folders/w6/x7gjqjvs0lncp9h6j81_v54h0000gn/T/buildb056035125ec41edbaf4a12e4ba5cebd.tmp/sketch/Model01-Firmware.ino.cpp" -o "/dev/null"
"/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_AVR_MODEL01 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -Woverloaded-virtual -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-ignored-qualifiers -DUSB_VID=0x1209 -DUSB_PID=0x2301 '-DUSB_MANUFACTURER="Keyboardio"' '-DUSB_PRODUCT="Model 01"' -DKALEIDOSCOPE_HARDWARE_H="Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Model01.h" "-I/Users/me/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/avr/1.6.10/cores/arduino" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/variants/model01" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/HID/src" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Kaleidoscope/src" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/KeyboardioHID/src" "/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/KeyboardioHID/src/BootKeyboard/BootKeyboard.cpp" -o "/dev/null"
"/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_AVR_MODEL01 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -Woverloaded-virtual -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-ignored-qualifiers -DUSB_VID=0x1209 -DUSB_PID=0x2301 '-DUSB_MANUFACTURER="Keyboardio"' '-DUSB_PRODUCT="Model 01"' -DKALEIDOSCOPE_HARDWARE_H="Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Model01.h" "-I/Users/me/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/avr/1.6.10/cores/arduino" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/variants/model01" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/KeyboardioHID/src" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/HID/src" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Kaleidoscope/src" "/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/KeyboardioHID/src/MultiReport/AbsoluteMouse.cpp" -o "/dev/null"
"/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_AVR_MODEL01 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -Woverloaded-virtual -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-ignored-qualifiers -DUSB_VID=0x1209 -DUSB_PID=0x2301 '-DUSB_MANUFACTURER="Keyboardio"' '-DUSB_PRODUCT="Model 01"' -DKALEIDOSCOPE_HARDWARE_H="Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Model01.h" "-I/Users/me/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/avr/1.6.10/cores/arduino" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/variants/model01" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/HID/src" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Kaleidoscope/src" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/KeyboardioHID/src" "/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/KeyboardioHID/src/MultiReport/ConsumerControl.cpp" -o "/dev/null"
"/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_AVR_MODEL01 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -Woverloaded-virtual -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-ignored-qualifiers -DUSB_VID=0x1209 -DUSB_PID=0x2301 '-DUSB_MANUFACTURER="Keyboardio"' '-DUSB_PRODUCT="Model 01"' -DKALEIDOSCOPE_HARDWARE_H="Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Model01.h" "-I/Users/me/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/avr/1.6.10/cores/arduino" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/variants/model01" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Kaleidoscope/src" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/KeyboardioHID/src" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/HID/src" "/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/KeyboardioHID/src/MultiReport/Gamepad.cpp" -o "/dev/null"
"/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_AVR_MODEL01 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -Woverloaded-virtual -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-ignored-qualifiers -DUSB_VID=0x1209 -DUSB_PID=0x2301 '-DUSB_MANUFACTURER="Keyboardio"' '-DUSB_PRODUCT="Model 01"' -DKALEIDOSCOPE_HARDWARE_H="Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Model01.h" "-I/Users/me/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/avr/1.6.10/cores/arduino" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/variants/model01" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Kaleidoscope/src" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/KeyboardioHID/src" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/HID/src" "/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/KeyboardioHID/src/MultiReport/Keyboard.cpp" -o "/dev/null"
"/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_AVR_MODEL01 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -Woverloaded-virtual -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-ignored-qualifiers -DUSB_VID=0x1209 -DUSB_PID=0x2301 '-DUSB_MANUFACTURER="Keyboardio"' '-DUSB_PRODUCT="Model 01"' -DKALEIDOSCOPE_HARDWARE_H="Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Model01.h" "-I/Users/me/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/avr/1.6.10/cores/arduino" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/variants/model01" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Kaleidoscope/src" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/KeyboardioHID/src" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/HID/src" "/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/KeyboardioHID/src/MultiReport/Mouse.cpp" -o "/dev/null"
"/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_AVR_MODEL01 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -Woverloaded-virtual -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-ignored-qualifiers -DUSB_VID=0x1209 -DUSB_PID=0x2301 '-DUSB_MANUFACTURER="Keyboardio"' '-DUSB_PRODUCT="Model 01"' -DKALEIDOSCOPE_HARDWARE_H="Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Model01.h" "-I/Users/me/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/avr/1.6.10/cores/arduino" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/variants/model01" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Kaleidoscope/src" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/KeyboardioHID/src" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/HID/src" "/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/KeyboardioHID/src/MultiReport/SystemControl.cpp" -o "/dev/null"
"/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_AVR_MODEL01 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -Woverloaded-virtual -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-ignored-qualifiers -DUSB_VID=0x1209 -DUSB_PID=0x2301 '-DUSB_MANUFACTURER="Keyboardio"' '-DUSB_PRODUCT="Model 01"' -DKALEIDOSCOPE_HARDWARE_H="Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Model01.h" "-I/Users/me/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/avr/1.6.10/cores/arduino" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/variants/model01" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Kaleidoscope/src" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/KeyboardioHID/src" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/HID/src" "/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/KeyboardioHID/src/SingleReport/SingleAbsoluteMouse.cpp" -o "/dev/null"
"/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_AVR_MODEL01 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -Woverloaded-virtual -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-ignored-qualifiers -DUSB_VID=0x1209 -DUSB_PID=0x2301 '-DUSB_MANUFACTURER="Keyboardio"' '-DUSB_PRODUCT="Model 01"' -DKALEIDOSCOPE_HARDWARE_H="Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Model01.h" "-I/Users/me/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/avr/1.6.10/cores/arduino" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/variants/model01" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/HID/src" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Kaleidoscope/src" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/KeyboardioHID/src" "/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/HID/src/HID.cpp" -o "/dev/null"
"/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_AVR_MODEL01 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -Woverloaded-virtual -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-ignored-qualifiers -DUSB_VID=0x1209 -DUSB_PID=0x2301 '-DUSB_MANUFACTURER="Keyboardio"' '-DUSB_PRODUCT="Model 01"' -DKALEIDOSCOPE_HARDWARE_H="Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Model01.h" "-I/Users/me/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/avr/1.6.10/cores/arduino" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/variants/model01" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/KeyboardioHID/src" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/HID/src" "-I/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Kaleidoscope/src" "/var/folders/w6/x7gjqjvs0lncp9h6j81_v54h0000gn/T/buildb056035125ec41edbaf4a12e4ba5cebd.tmp/sketch/Model01-Firmware.ino.cpp" -o "/var/folders/w6/x7gjqjvs0lncp9h6j81_v54h0000gn/T/buildb056035125ec41edbaf4a12e4ba5cebd.tmp/preproc/ctags_target_for_gcc_minus_e.cpp"
In file included from /Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Model01-Firmware/Model01-Firmware.ino:17:0:
/Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Kaleidoscope/src/Kaleidoscope.h:23:33: fatal error: Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Model01.h: No such file or directory
 #include KALEIDOSCOPE_HARDWARE_H
                                 ^
compilation terminated.
Using library Kaleidoscope at version 0.0.1 in folder: /Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Kaleidoscope 
Using library KeyboardioHID at version 0.0.1 in folder: /Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/KeyboardioHID 
Using library HID at version 1.0 in folder: /Users/me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/HID 
exit status 1
Error compiling.
1 Like

I’m so sorry! This is a bug with Arduino.

I bisected the Arduino releases between 1.6.7 (which I was using) and 1.8.5. The earliest release I found that works is 1.6.10. The readme currently says “Make sure you install at least version 1.6”.

2 Likes

What do you mean when you say “bisected” ?

Do you now have an environment that is building and flashing the keyboardio cleanly?

Thanks for sticking with this, and letting us know!

Similar to how git bisect works I didn’t go through every release of Arduino, instead I tested at halfway points.

Yep, everything is building as expected now.

1 Like

Oh gosh. That’s not your fault or Arduino’s fault. It’s mine. We started using a new Arduino feature without noticing.

I’m so, so sorry! I’ll fix the docs. (But I’m glad to hear you figured it out)

1 Like

https://github.com/keyboardio/Model01-Firmware still needs updating. i was running 1.6.8 and was having problems. once i updated everything was fine.

1 Like

I just submitted a pull request to fix the README file.

3 Likes

And I just accepted the PR. Thanks @merlin, @milkypostman!

1 Like