Initial Dvorak Layout

For reference, and for @fishheadsoup, that discussion is here.

As some pointed out, my earlier post was way too specialized.

I think the way forward is for us all to step back and agree on a base. Once weā€™ve done that we can discuss the finer points.

From reading through again, I think the following is a fair assessment of the consensus so far:

Editable version

Iā€™ve left alone the top row, centre keys, palm keys, and thumb arcs to be the same as the qwerty default, since from the default qwerty thread it looks like these are the parts which J&K are most keen on staying common between the different default layouts. Iā€™ve shaded these grey.

Iā€™ve shaded other keys green. These, I think, are the ones which must be this way for a US Dvorak keyboard, at least in their top-level and shifted cases. I donā€™t think we have any arguments about these, until possibly we get to the function layer, but letā€™s leave that alone for now.

Iā€™ve left the other six keys white, and filled in just two, which have pretty much unanimously been agreed upon: the /? and the -_.

Missing but vital are:

• Cursors
  • The `~ key
  • The | key
  • The =+ key
  • Square brackets
  • Curly braces
  • F11 and F12

Missing and arguably vital are

• Page up and down, home, end, insert, delete

Keeping those missing things in mind but not worrying about them yet, can we agree on the above as a base to build on?

5 Likes

Good job, thanks bjn.

How often would people use LED? Which Iā€™m guessing toggles backlit on/off. Iā€™m guessing (for me at least) that it wouldnā€™t be used as often, maybe turn on and leave on, then turn off and leave off. I propose moving LED to Num or Prog.

1 Like

Well what Iā€™m trying to do here is avoid making arbitrary changes from the default qwerty layout for ā€œextraā€ keys such as LED and prog and and num.

Go take a read through the default qwerty thread which I linked, in particular Jesseā€™s posts. Iā€™m just trying to find a lowest common denominator here.

Having said that, I asked just now over in that thread whether those shaded-grey keys accurately reflect what Jesse would ideally like to stay the same between layouts. If he says no, Iā€™ll of course adjust as necessary and we may have more room to play.

Based on @bjnā€™s template, I would think something like this:

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/88b03f9777fc1e62d9471b9d41c835f8

(with the arrow keys on the ā€œDHTNā€ keys in Fn layer as QWERTY)

Edit: also assuming that itā€™s feasible to have ā€œ{ā€ and ā€œ}ā€ mapped to Fn-Shift-R/L

This is an absolute basic minimum for dvorak touch-typists, so yes I would strongly agree.

Now we have four white keys left to put five standard keys on. Of course, if we could reuse the Prog key for something else after boot (as was suggested earlier in one of these threads) that gives us one more key. I know itā€™s not easily touch-typable but letā€™s face it, the equivalent key on pc105 isnā€™t exactly easy to reach either.

LED currently walks through a variety of LED color effects. LED, Any, Prog and Num are all keys that require a relatively large stretch to hit. Thatā€™s why theyā€™re all mapped to keys that are not things you would touch type.

Of all of them, Prog[ram] is the only one thatā€™s really, really special. That key has a second physical behavior. Itā€™s hard-wired to pins on the main microcontroller. Itā€™s used during boot to determine if itā€™s safe to go into the bootloader. (As a guard against malicious remote flashing.)

You could remap it to something else, but I think it would not be the best idea.

Youā€™ve put `~ in the top left ā€“ I like that. Itā€™s the same as the default qwerty layout, which is probably a good thing, and is in a similar position to where probably all keyboard users expect it to be.

Youā€™ve put =+ left of A, but it looks like you have + as the un-shifted one and = as the shifted one. Was that on purpose? Iā€™m assuming this was a slip and you meant to have = unshifted and + shifted. With that assumption, I like this placement too. Itā€™s far away from where the key usually is on an old Dvorak board, but it very nicely mirrors the -_ key ā€“ minus on one side, plus on the other. I think this would be easyish to get used to.

You have | in the bottom right. This is the same hand as US Dvorak on a 104-key keyboard, which is probably good, though below the home row rather than above. I type on UK Dvorak on a 105-key keyboard and for me | is in the bottom left. That means your proposal is the same row and finger as Iā€™m used to (though on the other hand), which for me is a positive. So I think it seems reasonable for both 104-key and 105-key keyboard users, and so it seems reasonable.

You have page up/down in the bottom left. Were you imagining one would be on the function layer, or shifted, or what? I wonder if shift-(pgup/pgdn) is ever needed for anything? If so, shifted would be no good. I suspect you meant it to be on the function layer, though. It seems reasonable. How would we decide which one out of pgup and pgdn is on the base layer and which isnā€™t? Iā€™d suggest leaving pgdn on the base layer. My reasons are twofold: in normal usage (think browsing the web) pgdn is probably used slightly more than pgup, and this would make pgdn in the same position and layer as on the default qwerty layout.

What do you think of switching pgup/pgdn and |? This would put | exactly where 105-key keyboard users like me are used to it being, but moves pgup/pgdn to the opposite side from the Model 01 qwerty layout. Given that your proposed position changes the pgup/pgdn from qwerty in putting them both on the same key anyway, Iā€™m not sure how big of a deal that is. But the argument against my suggested swap would be the mouse-in-right-hand, paging-with-left-hand argument. So I think itā€™s likely best as youā€™ve put it.

You have the square brackets on function-R/L, and braces on shift-function-R/L. I suggest instead doing the same thing as the currently published default qwerty layout and having the braces instead on function-G/C. This would mean less chording, and also more things in common between the layouts.

As Iā€™ve said before Iā€™d personally like the cursors engraved on the J, K, H, and L keys, but this is an unpopular opinion so Iā€™ll drop it. Instead, cursors, for layouts without HJKL in a row, as Iā€™ve been suggesting in the default qwerty layout thread, should be on CHTN (Dvorak right-hand home-position inverted-T). Ahhh, but this clashes with where I just suggested we put the right brace. And so I suggest instead that the braces are on F and G. (I would suggest having the braces on the left side to mirror the square brackets, but this is where it looks like the convention is suggesting the mouse movement keys are, and so I doubt itā€™d fly.) Iā€™ve gone and suggested in the qwerty thread that this is the convention for all layouts which donā€™t have bigger ideas (including qwerty), but Iā€™ve no idea if anyone will like that idea.

I think itā€™s reasonable to put F11 and F12 in the same spots as in the qwerty layout, which is on the rightmost two home row keys.

After all this I have something like the following (editable):

Any strong opinions here? Whoā€™s on board, who isnā€™t?

Still missing:

• Home
  • End
  • Insert
  • Delete

I have some ideas for these, but before that I would like to see if we can again come to a consensus. One step at a time!

3 Likes

Yup, that was indeed a slip.

That seems reasonable, I could be convinced either way.

Agreed.

I think it was proposed somewhere that Fn-Backspace would be Delete?

:+1: to your proposed layout.

Shift-page keys are used in Linux terminals for the scrollback buffer. Quite important.

I donā€™t see any problem with putting both page keys in the fn layer. The palm fn keys make it quite possible to find them one-handed, so long as you put them under the index finger.

Ah yes, of course ā€“ I indeed use shift-page in terminals windows myself sometimes. Though the question about shift-page becomes moot if using the function layer for pgup anyway.

Iā€™m not against both page keys being on the function layer. Do you have a suggestion for something to use in the base layer on that key instead?

Iā€™d prefer to have all us-ascii printable keys on the base layer, so would be my choice. But you canā€™t do that without replacing at least one of Prog or Num also.

OK, how about this? I have moved the brackets keys to the base layer left of A and moved =+ to where Num usually is. I know this breaks the Qwerty equivalence of the grey keys, but moving Num lets us do a cool trick.

We can then have two Num keys, one for each hand. That means we can use one to toggle a left-handed numpad and one to toggle a right-handed one (left-handed numpads are quite useful for people who use right-handed mice, see the numpad thread). The Num toggles are in the Fn-layer rather than the base layer, but if we want two Num toggles weā€™d have to do something like that anyway.

Iā€™ve also added both left-handed and right-handed navigation. We can use one set of arrows for mouse keys and the other for keyboard arrows, and have the handedness configurable.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/ad811203b1048d065d61453228932b84

I donā€™t like having the +/= keys so inaccessible, given how often theyā€™re typed when programming.

Jesse was pretty keen on keeping everything shaded grey the same between default layouts, so Iā€™d agree that the =+ shouldnā€™t be in that top right corner. Having said that, that would somewhat approximate its position on a standard keyboard in Dvorak.

The [{ and ]} seem awkwardly placed to me. What makes you so keen to have them on the base layer? I would have thought the palm keys are easy enough to use that having [{]} in more accessible places (though on the function layer) would be preferable. I wonder if @jesse could chime in regarding the palm keysā€™ ease of use?

Because if {} are not on the base layer, then they have to be implemented with a (potentially leaky) kludge. See @algernonā€™s explanation in message 77 above.

I like the layout as proposed by @andrewg. The main thing Iā€™m missing is something that could function as a numpad on my right hand because I tend to use that quite a bit. Since youā€™ve duplicated most of the Fn keys on both the left and right side, hereā€™s my take on it with a numpad on the right-hand side.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/846ba5f3b5adde6c8fe814e4cb748c6e

As discussed somewhere else (Iā€™m losing track of all these threads) the numpad layer is a separate one from the Fn layer, and is initiated using the Num key as a toggle (this is distinct from the pc105 numlock). I didnā€™t put the numpads on that last layout because it was already crowded.

I read this thread only, but Iā€™m pretty sure I read all of it. Mustā€™ve missed it :slight_smile:

In that case, never mind, your layout looks fine to me.

Jesse doesnā€™t seem to think itā€™s a problem, given that the current plan for qwerty is for {} to be on the function layer. And then I canā€™t imagine it being a problem for Dvorak typists if itā€™s not for qwerty.

1 Like