Is my Atreus bricked?

Gday all, would appreciate some help in getting my Keyboardio Atreus back to factory settings.

I bought it second hand in great condition but with no manual. It seems the previous owner has done some wild remapping and done something strange with the firmware.

Keyboard plugs in and is recognized as Atreus by Windows, but Chrysalis just says “no keyboards found” and that’s the end of it. It’s also recognized by QMK Toolbox, although it won’t let me flash because I can’t get it into the bootloader (?). I’ve read that the way to do that involves plugging it in while holding the Esc key… only problem, the previous owner has (incomprehensibly) remapped the Esc key out of existence.

The recessed button on the back also appears to do nothing other than temporarily disconnect the keyboard.

Can anyone help me?

It seems I wasn’t holding the bottom-left key long enough for Chrysalis to scan and recognize it. Got a message saying the firmware was messed up and was able to restore it, so it’s all working now.

1 Like

Yep : for future reference, the said [Esc] key is the bottom-left key-switch, whatever symbol is mapped on it, and wherever the [Esc] key have been remmaped…

Glad to see you find a way to retore a known firmware, and enter this strange feeling that every thing is possible !

Happy hacking :toolbox: :hammer_and_wrench:

I have a similar problem. The Atreus worked fine, but the layout was wrong. The keyboard was flashed with QMK. I followed whytokyo’s steps and finally Chrysalis detected the Atreus, but then when I clicked “Connect” it gave me a “Communication timeout” error. Now my Atreus doesn’t work at all. Even unplugging it and pluging it back in - typing on it now, doesn’t work any more. :frowning: In Linux, the dmesg command shows the Atreus being plugged in and displays:

[410746.199894] usb 1-6.3: USB disconnect, device number 54
[410758.711410] usb 1-6.3: new full-speed USB device number 55 using xhci_hcd
[410758.834850] usb 1-6.3: New USB device found, idVendor=1209, idProduct=2302, bcdDevice= 0.01
[410758.834851] usb 1-6.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=1, SerialNumber=3
[410758.834851] usb 1-6.3: Product: Atreus Bootloader
[410758.834852] usb 1-6.3: Manufacturer: Keyboardio 
[410758.834852] usb 1-6.3: SerialNumber: atreus
[410758.871753] cdc_acm 1-6.3:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[edit]
Good news. After many attempts, I managed to flash my Atreus using QMK’s software and build process. Now my Atreus works again, so I’ll keep using QMK for now.