New mockup images

Here’s an update to the Linear A labels. I replaced the symbols that I remembered people saying they didn’t like (“archer”, “shepherd”, “scales”) with more abstract ones, and repositioned many of the symbols on the keys, and tinkered with some to make them fit better. I also changed the butterfly logos on the palm keys, so the wings are just outlines:

I tried doing the body of the butterfly as an outline, but it’s narrow enough that I thought it just didn’t work right unless the line width was much, much thinner than all the other lines in the symbols.

Here’s another version, because @jesse said he’d like the butterfly key to be the same as on the QWERTY layout (I left the butterflies on the palm keys for the moment because I don’t know what to replace them with):

I’m not fond of it, for a few reasons. It’s smaller than the butterflies on the palm keys, and that makes it tricky to maintain the same line width as the other symbols unless I distort it more. It’s centered on the key, unlike everything else (and it’s too wide to fit in the corner), and yet it looks like just another pictogram, so it looks to me like it just doesn’t fit.

As I said before, I prefer the butterflies on the palm keys (I’d probably prefer it that way on the QWERTY keycaps, too, for that matter), but if we must have one on that key, I think it would look better with filled wings, not the outline. On the palm keys, I do think the outline wings look better, but I could go either way on that.

6 Likes