New plugin: Digital Rain (The Matrix falling code effect)

That and a bit more, yeah. Full relevant changeset

looks good, I’ll have to try it at night so I can really see the difference(s).

really awesome that one

How do I get this loaded using chrysalis?

I’ve honestly no idea, but if you sit tight there’s a chance this plugin will be part of core Kaleidoscope soon anyway – see https://github.com/tremby/Kaleidoscope-LEDEffect-DigitalRain/issues/12

Cc @algernon

Hola Bart and Gergerly,

I saw you guys working on this over on Git. Do you guys have a time frame of completion on this project? Not nagging, just asking as I can’t get Digital Rain to work on keyboardio 1.96.0, it works on my old machine 1.22. I did manage to get christmas lights to work so I have no complaints.

I tried compiling the sketch but I keep getting different errors (once I fix the first error, then next, etc.) until I got to one that I couldn’t figure out.

Thank you for your contributions.

Afraid I don’t know. I’m waiting on @algernon to answer some questions, and once he’s happy I’ll open a PR to Kaleidoscope. If further changes are necessary I’ll make them. I haven’t ever tried Chrysalis though and don’t really intend to, but if it’s necessary to get it tested and merged I will.

By Keyboardio 1.96.0 what do you mean exactly? Do you mean Kaleidoscope? Chrysalis?

Arduino is 1.8.12
Kaleidscope
keyboardio (board) is 1.96.0

Did you try with the latest code on the refactor branch, as well as just the latest release?

I was not using refactor, but master; sorry.

However, after getting refactor. I get a new error.

C:\Users\JP\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\keyboardio\hardware\avr\1.96.0\libraries\Kaleidoscope\src/Kaleidoscope-LEDEffect-DigitalRain.h:3:10: fatal error: kaleidoscope/Runtime.h: No such file or directory

So it looks like in DigitalRain.h is calling Runtime.h, which doesn’t exist.

#include “kaleidoscope/Runtime.h”
#include <Kaleidoscope-LEDControl.h>

Hm. I’m not in a position to debug right now, but I logged in to home
where it’s working for me, and I’ll tell you what versions things are,
in the hope that it may help in some way.

My ~/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio repo is at commit 55065ce, and it
shows that nothing is untracked other than
avr/libraries/Kaleidoscope-LEDEffect-DigitalRain.

My ~/Arduino/Mode01-Firmware is based on commit 2f9d140 and my changes
are just disabling some plugins, adding Digital Rain, and changing the
keymap.

I appear to have Arduino 1.8.10.

I have a file called Runtime.h in
~/Arduino/hardware/keyboardio/avr/libraries/Kaleidoscope/src/kaleidoscope/Runtime.h
and that Kaleidoscope subdir is a git submodule – could it be that
you didn’t init/update your submodules when you updated?

Ok. I uninstalled arduino and whacked everything, didn’t clean the registry but reinstalled, redid preferences, get the board, etc.

I got christmas lights and led fire to work but no go on digital rain. Will mess with it more tomorrow.

Thanks Bart for your help.

FWIW, kaleidoscope/Runtime.h needs Kaleidoscope master. It’s not in any of the releases yet, I believe.

(And I’ll try to get back to answering those pending questions so we can proceed - sorry!)

Which were the christmas lights you got working?

Yeah, I tried copying runtime.h and runtime.cpp, then it errors out on device.h, then I copy that in, etc.; eventually I get to a code error (not missing a file or something) and I stop there, then I have to back out all my changes.

I don’t mind troubleshooting until I get to the point where I gotta go modifying code. Man’s gotta know his limitations.

Christmas Lights:

Selectively copying things won’t work, it’s all very interwined within Kaleidoscope. You gotta clone/copy the whole repo.

Yes, I’ve tried that too. When I dump all of kaleidoscope master with the board chosen, I get even more errors, hence the uninstall/reinstall to zero everything.

Its ok. If it works great, if it doesn’t I still have christmas lights and fire, I’m not losing sleep over it. But thank you for the support on things to try. I could just be doing it wrong…

I realize I never followed up here. I believe that I brought the codebase up to date some time ago now – is it all working for you?

2 Likes

Just flashed a Model01 yesterday with the master version of both firmware and plugin and worked like an old VT100 :slight_smile:

1 Like