Staining the enclosure

Nice work and write up.

1 Like

I made a mockup in the gimp where I matched a bass guitar sunburnt finish and added a volume notch and a pickup switch (layer changes or something?). I did it because the keyboardio looks so much like an instrument. It is far from perfect but it might be an idea for people considering to get a pro to stain the enclosures.

6 Likes

Man, I love that Les Paul pickup Switch! Tuning the volume down could be useful when the colleagues complain about the noisy typing :wink:

4 Likes

This looks amazing! I love the dark finish. Definitely something I may be looking into getting done.

I dig it. Love the switch and volume knob.

I’ve been looking/thinking about these stains/paints/glazes. They can be used on bare wood or also over existing glazes, which would make it a much easier job if it can just go on top of what’s already there. Plus, you can give it some truly unique looks. https://www.unicornspit.com/

I love the detail in all the effort to refinish. I love woodworking. I love to see grains in my projects so my p;reference is more of a nice carbon grey. But very nicely done none the less!

(I apologise for reviving an old topic, but weighed it about opening a new thread)

I’m planning to do some wood carving and do a different finish on mine. I haven’t fully decide on the design yet, but as I’ve got some experience with old furniture, I have some ideas about finishes.

And this is where I would like to hear some experience of others in this thread that have gone down this route before.

What I’m deciding between is:

• linseed oil (easiest to do)
  • boiled linseed oil
  • tung oil
  • shellac (would go great with my chair)

I have most experience with (unboiled) linseed oil and shellac, but shellac takes a hell of a lot of elbow grease, and with oils I’m a bit worried about whether they have any negative effect on the plastic parts in the keyboard.