Can you map Shift keys?

(Rob Marsh) #1

Hi,
I’ve had my keyboard for a couple of days now and have moved and remapped the thumb keys to how I like them.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question,but how do I map shift key values?

Rob

(James Cash) #2

By “shift key values”, do you mean what a key sends when pressed with shift? If so, there unfortunately isn’t a simple way, as the interpretation of what shift + key means is up to the operating system (that as, shift+a doesn’t send “A”, it sends “shift + a” the OS interprets that as “A”). There is a plugin that can let you do some customization of what key to send along with shifted keys (so you could, e.g. have shift + 1 send “$” instead of “!”, but I don’t think it could make, e.g. shift +1 send 4 (it would need to be a shifted character)). For things more advanced than that, you’d have to write a macro & check if shift is pressed or not (I have an example in my layout here).

LSHIFT (e.g. LSHIFT(Key_9) for typing a ( character) might work well enough. You can put it directly in your key map.

(Ben Gemperline) #4

I am pretty sure you can also do Key_LeftParen or Key_RightParen, too, assuming you are on a US QWERTY layout.

(Rob Marsh) #5

Thanks for the answers. I see that the shifted values are indeed tied to the os keyboard settings. I solved most of my problems by setting my keyboard to US. I’d completely forgotten to do this, I’m in the U.K. and its not an unusual thing to have to do…doh.

Thanks again!