Can't seem get my typing speed up

Unbind RightGui+Enter so it doesn’t open a terminal?

Can you disable or rename the terminal app it opens somehow?

I can disable the terminal keybinding, but it’s still impossible to press prog and enter at the same time. I guess because as long as I’m holding prog, pressing enter doesn’t send enter, it sends GUI-enter.

looks like I should be able to upload using the Arduino GUI, which only requires holding the PROG key and clicking on an arrow with the mouse?

It will take me some time to sort through, as Arduino seems to be looking in the wrong places for the libraries. ugh.

That shouldn’t happen, from what @algernon said - I would check with @algernon or @jesse and maybe open a new topic on it.

My prog is mapped to GUI (LeftGUI I think) and it doesn’t have a problem flashing. But I’ve been using the Arduino GUI.

Oh, got it! I needed to mash the prog key while holding the enter key down, and eventually it ‘caught’.

I’ll have to think about that mapping.

1 Like

One thing I did early on is swap over the space and bksp buttons. I think it is setup using pure typist use patterns, buy if you do any sort of graphic work you will want the space button on the left had side. I also changed the ESC button to act as the ALT button, for similar reasons

Agree completely. I need certain things on the left hand so that I can use them with the mouse. I have Ctrl, Bksp, Shift, Space, Tab, Del, Enter, Win, and Alt all accessible on the left hand.

And I don’t even do much graphic work - I just like to use the mouse sometimes :grinning:

If you’d like some ideas on customization, I spent a few months adapting my layout for programming. The arrow/arrow-combo keys and punctuation layers specifically.
Then I also second practice, I spent a few months where each morning I’d practice typing on keybr.com for about 15 minutes. That was very helpful.

1 Like

That looks awesome! What went into choosing the arrow combos and modifier key combos? What are mouseSU/SD/SL/SR?

Thanks! I was trying to minimize effort to reach and memorability of the most commonly used combos. Pairing left/right arrows and combos together near the home row did that for me. The main arrow combos are select or hightlight next/prev word.

The SR etc is scroll right etc.

1 Like

I have a few more questions about your awesome layout, if you don’t mind!

What are ===, :wg, cutline, and scw?

And what are the “OS” things on the modifiers and caret on the thumb keys?

Also what did you use to make that layout picture?

Happy to answer!

Those are all custom macros - triple equal sign (used in JavaScript, actually don’t use it much), :wq (save and quit in vim), cut the line of text on which the cursor is sitting, and select current word.

OS is for ‘one-shot’ - it’s a library add on. Tap once to modify next keypress and twice for a lock. The caret is control.

Graphic from here: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/a0fd4537e2cc0aeaaed49496837a8796
You should be able to start editing and save your own version right away.

Here’s the firmware file if it helps: https://github.com/nickzylstra/keyboardio/blob/master/Model01-Firmware.ino

Feel free to ask anything else

1 Like

FYI I use the qukeys home row modifiers (Ctrl, shft, opt, cmd) and corner shifts 95% of the time over the thumb based ones. I use the left shift thumb on occasion with fn and the arrow keys.

1 Like

Oh hey @jgoerzen, @nickzylstra made one!

Thanks, I’m definitely going to steal some ideas from your layout!

Are the qukeys mods one-shots?

Why do you not use the thumb mods very much?

I’m kind of confused how you can hold some of those keys down in order to get other keys: for instance, pgdn and the modified arrow keys are usually ones you’d want to hold down to repeat.

What’s the blank thumb key?

I use thumb one-shot mods for all my mods but I kind of want to try qukeys too.

Cool!

The qukeys are not one-shots, they have to be held.

I initially thought I’d need to hold page down, but find that it works just fine tapping. I’ll use cmd-downarrow to get to the bottom of a page or if i’m using something like ‘less’ the pager, there are other ways to handle quick nav. The fn + arrow/arrow combo keys can all be held if you want, just hold the palm function key and hold the arrows and or combo arrows as much as you’d like. I do use the fn + thumb shift with the arrows at times so I can hold the arrows. But I find myself not needing the other modifiers to be held with arrows.

Blank thumb key is space.

I say use whatever you find most comfortable.