Do you want a travel case for your Model 01?

We’re trying to gauge interest for a semi-rigid nylon zip case for the Model 01.

The two halves would be stored back to back, with a specially molded interior designed to protect the keycaps and the enclosure. There’d be a place for cables and center bars, but not a place for the stands inside the case.

Is this something you’d want?

• I don’t need one
  • If I had one, I’d use it, but I wouldn’t pay anything extra for it
  • I need one. I’d pay $25 for it.
  • I need one. I’d pay $50 for it.

0 voters

4 Likes

I’m more interested in the portable version of the Model01 you mentioned in the recent kickstarter update.

Personally, I’ve been carrying my keyboard to work in a laptop sleeve, it worked out fine, I do not see the need for an extra case anymore.

1 Like

The difference is that a travel case is something that is relatively low cost and relatively quick to make. Sadly, a “travel version” of the Model 01 isn’t going to be something we can knock out in a couple months.

1 Like

If one was available, I might decide it was worth having for the very rare occasions on which I might use it, and because I might later have a reason to use it more often (e.g. if I start to find it intolerable to use other keyboards). I would definitely be willing to pay money for it, if I decide I want to have one. On the other hand, my need for any kind of case is vanishingly small, so it’s pretty likely that I wouldn’t want one, even if it is free.

2 Likes

I’m in the “don’t travel enough to justify buying it, but it sounds neat” camp.

If it unfolds down the middle and can double as a basic dust cover though, I’d be all over that.

5 Likes

I don’t travel much, but when I do, I’d love to take my Model01 with me, so I’m definitely in the “worth $25” camp. Depending on how it looks, and a few other factors, I might even be in the “worth $50” camp.

2 Likes

I carry mine to work, and I use the stands, so I’d pay for the $50+ option if that level allowed room for those without removing them everyday. I really should just put that money towards a second Model 01, though.

Besides this, I doubt that I will ever travel with the keyboard (though I’d certainly miss it while away).

3 Likes

I should clarify that the $25 and $50 price-points are to help us understand if we can afford to make the cases at a price point that will work for people, not two different versions of the bag.

2 Likes

I could only say if I needed one, when I receive my model01 at the end of this month and would have time testing it. To see wether I’d bring it to work or not.

I haven’t been able to justify to myself even asking work to contribute to my personal keyboardio (even though I plan to use it at work) since they’ve already been pretty generous getting me an earlier reasonably ergonomic keyboard for work, I’d get it even if I didn’t want it for work and I don’t want any ambiguity about who owns it whatsoever. But I could probably justify asking them to contribute to making it easier for me to take it to work.

I mostly work at home, but once a week I take my model 01 to a coffee shop for a coworking group. I shove it into my backpack with the flat coupling bar attached. This doesn’t feel very safe or rugged.

So, heck yes I’d love a better travel case.

I’m currently carrying my Model 01 in a 13inch laptop sleeve. I take it to work everyday. So this would a cheaper upgrade than an extra keyboard.

I could use one but I just use a cheap laptop bag that I got on sale at Amazon and that works sufficiently well. I’d probably have paid ~$20 extra on top of the price of my keyboard for one that form fits well and has pockets for cables and connector bars when ordering a new unit, but the shipping costs could make it somewhat prohibitive, I think.

I will be taking my Model 01 to and from work and on any remote working trips. However a second keyboard could solve some of that issue… that said, I’d probably opt for a case for a while.

The second keyboard is definitely worth it, at least for me. I’ve got one at my desk at home and one at my desk at work. Though a travel case would be nice if I wanted to take either with me.

1 Like

I’d pay a reasonable amount for a case that let me transport my Model 01 without taking off the stands and bar (which would have to be pretty sturdy). A random laptop sleeve has been fine for just transporting the disconnected keyboard without stands.

1 Like

Not sure. I think the Model 01 isn’t just made for travelling (at least for me) and I do not think that a case might help a lot. Since I have to travel a lot I loved to have a lighter Model 01. In the mean time I’m still looking for something ergonomic that fits in a backpack.

This would be great! I carry my keyboards back and forth with me to work all the time. The main thing I would be looking for in a case would be something that would protect the keyboards. I chose the $25 option but to be fair, I would probably go in the 30 -40 range as well (but 40 would be toward the top end for me).

1 Like

Could it come with smaller portable stands? I currently stick the whole shebang (stands included) back in the shipping box when I go places. If it did that, I’d pay 50 bucks or more.

1 Like