Error/warning while flashing firmware on new Model 01

Just got my new Model 01 today. I followed the instructions for installing Arduino and verifying and flashing the firmware.

When I pressed the button to verify the firmware the following warning was displayed at the bottom of the window
WARNING: Category 'Debug' in library Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Virtual is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized' Sketch uses 24756 bytes (86%) of program storage space. Maximum is 28672 bytes. Global variables use 1408 bytes (55%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1152 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2560 bytes.

It seems to be the same problem as described here.

I tried holding prog, before and during both the verification and upload process and holding intermittently for 8 second periods as described in the troubleshooting page. I tried unplugging the keyboard and holding prog before plugging it in and remain holding until I press upload but still the above warning persists.

Also, when I plug in the model 01 all the LED’s turn on and work correctly. Both halves of the keyboard also work as expected but when I press the led all the keys change colour. When I press led again the left half keys change colour and the right half keys turn off completely save for the bottom right button - | which remains continuously blue. None of the keys on the right half work either and it seems the only thing I can do to get the right half working again is to unplug and plug the keyboard back in. If I press the led twice again it goes back to the same behaviour.

Any suggestions on how to fix this issue? Thanks!

As a workaround, I commented out the ‘LEDChaseEffect’ in the firmware (at around line 440) and uploaded the changes to the keyboard.

At first I moved the chase-effect to line 454, under the other LED-effects, and tried to skip it quickly when cycling through the various effects, but the right side would crash immediately upon entering the chase-effect.

By the way, does yours also sometimes, but not consistently, print a line of keystrokes on crash? My OS is on Dvorak while the keyboard is still querty; it would print along the lines of:
aoeuoucrlgf
]^X@sa^X@se^X@su^X@si^X@s^[^[[5;1~^[d^[h^[t^[n^[s^[-XJKQ:1^@^\^]Quit

Anyway, as long as you’re not addicted to the LED-chase, it should be ok :slight_smile:

Thanks, Indeed I seen your previous post in another thread explaining the work around. I only received the keyboard a few days ago and haven’t had a chance to use it after updating the firmware. I intend to try your suggestion tomorrow and report back.

I also intend to switch to Dvorak and also experiment with the oneshot setting. Indeed the LED-chase is pretty damn cool but i don’t think I’ll be losing much sleep over it if I need to comment it out :slight_smile:

Did as you instructed by commenting the LEDChaseEffect and now the keyboard seems to be working as normal. Thanks very much for the input. If I come across the printed characters on crash I will let you know. Although rather than setting my OS to dvorak I’ll be switching the keyboard keymappings to Dvorak instead so it might not be the same. Thanks again!

1 Like

Just received my brand-new Model 01.
Windows 10. Did not install the Windows USB driver suggested for Windows 7/8.
Got essentially the same warning:

WARNING: Category 'Debug' in library Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Virtual is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'
Sketch uses 24770 bytes (86%) of program storage space. Maximum is 28672 bytes.
Global variables use 1407 bytes (54%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1153 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2560 bytes.

I will comment out the ‘LEDChaseEffect’ and report back.