Error when trying to install default firmware

Arduino: 1.8.7 (Windows 10), Board: “Keyboardio Model 01”

WARNING: Category ‘Debug’ in library Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Virtual is not valid. Setting to ‘Uncategorized’
Sketch uses 24756 bytes (86%) of program storage space. Maximum is 28672 bytes.
Global variables use 1408 bytes (55%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1152 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2560 bytes.
An error occurred while uploading the sketch

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

This usually happens if you’re not holding the Prog button while flashing. Try pressing the prog key before starting the upload, and hold it until you see a red “dot” running through the keys on the left half.

I just followed the idiot instructions and am getting this warning by clicking “Verify” in the IDE toolbar, without changing any of the code. This is with Arduino 1.8.8 on the Mac, and having installed Keyboardio 1.94.0-beta. It didn’t stop the firmware loading successfully when I tried that subsequently.

I removed and re-added the version 1.23 and that compiled successfully with no warnings. Updating from that to 1.94.0 yielded the warning again when I clicked “verify”.

I’m trying to get my head around the structure (boards, packages, libraries, examples, sketches) and am making my way through this the Arduino docs to that end. I notice the library structure looks very different between 1.23 and 1.94 - is this just a question of having introduced a grouping level?

Are keyboards supplied from the factory with 1.23 or a more recent version? Is there a new “stable” version coming soon or should we just update to the latest beta before making any customisations?

The warning (the Category ‘Debug’ in library Kaleidoscope-Hardware-Virtual is not valid one) is harmless, and can be safely ignored. I’ll get around to fixing it soon.

I’m not sure what version keyboards ship from the factory nowadays, but I’d recommend upgrading to the latest beta before making any customisations. We’ll be cutting a new stable release soon. (But the latest beta is usually stable enough, we try our best not to break things.)

2 Likes

Many thanks - will do.

1 Like

Is there a way we can subscribe to updates like this, or any other patch/release notes?

1 Like

I’ll try to announce release here on the forums. We didn’t do that properly in the past, we’ll start now.

There’s a NEWS and an UPGRADING document in the repo, which we do keep up-to-date. I’m not sure if you can subscribe to file changes on GitHub, but if you check the repo once in a while, that should do.

But I’ll start announcing firmware releases on these forums (unless @jesse beats me to it, that is), to make it easier for everyone.

1 Like