Initial Dvorak Layout

As some pointed out, my earlier post was way too specialized.

I think the way forward is for us all to step back and agree on a base. Once we’ve done that we can discuss the finer points.

From reading through again, I think the following is a fair assessment of the consensus so far:

Editable version

I’ve left alone the top row, centre keys, palm keys, and thumb arcs to be the same as the qwerty default, since from the default qwerty thread it looks like these are the parts which J&K are most keen on staying common between the different default layouts. I’ve shaded these grey.

I’ve shaded other keys green. These, I think, are the ones which must be this way for a US Dvorak keyboard, at least in their top-level and shifted cases. I don’t think we have any arguments about these, until possibly we get to the function layer, but let’s leave that alone for now.

I’ve left the other six keys white, and filled in just two, which have pretty much unanimously been agreed upon: the /? and the -_.

Missing but vital are:

• Cursors
  • The `~ key
  • The | key
  • The =+ key
  • Square brackets
  • Curly braces
  • F11 and F12

Missing and arguably vital are

• Page up and down, home, end, insert, delete

Keeping those missing things in mind but not worrying about them yet, can we agree on the above as a base to build on?

5 Likes