Keyboard IO key mapping without flashing firmware

Hello,

I would like to modify some key mapping from my Keyboard.io.
Is there a way to do that with an application ? or do i have to flash the firmware ?

I’m on MacOS.

Thanks,
Nicolas

1 Like

Right now, using the Arduino IDE to flash the firmware is, I believe, the recommended way.

However…

There is Chrysalis but we don’t have a build of that to download yet and it requires that you already have a compatible firmware (e.g. like this) flashed on your keyboard to use it.
If you’d like to try it, I can try to upload a macOS build of Chrysalis and you should be able to download a precompiled compatible firmware from here (the .hex file) and use Chrysalis’ Firmware flasher to load it.
That being said, while there are some people using Chrysalis, it is still very much a work in progress.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer.
I’m just trying to map some new keys, so maybe i’ll just work with the firmware update.

Thanks.
Nicolas

1 Like

I just cut a pre-release build, so if you’d like to try, check out here.

I download it and launch, it’s seems to be working.
My keyboard doesn’t have the right firmware yet … so i couldn’t really test.

I’ll do that and keep you posted. Thanks again for your work.

Nicolas

1 Like

Still trying to update the firmware … running into some issues on macOS.

Just to re-iterate and make sure I understand, the flow for flashing a new keymapping onto the Model01 at this point in time is:

1. Download and install Chrysalis. This software is currently experimental, but will mature with time.
  2. Flash a Chrysalis-Compatible firmware .hex file using the Chrysalis Firmware Flasher, because Chrysalis needs a plugin not included by default in the Model01 firmware. This might be loaded by default on new keyboards sometime in the future?
  3. Using the Chrysalis Keymap Editor edit the layout and save it.
2 Likes

Only if you don’t want to write your own firmware sketch (and use the Arduino IDE or the make flash command-line tools), but yes.

I’m not sure about keyboard shipping with Chrysalis-compatible firmware by default…it does things in quite a different way in order to work in the way it does (storing all configuration information in EEPROM instead of the PROGMEM that flashing firmware uses). To work with Chrysalis, it not only needs a few plugins but also needs them configured in certain ways too.

2 Likes