Model 100 German QWERTZ keycap legends

Ok. I think all of the function keys here are now actually DIN2137-1:2020-11 compliant.

Left:

Shift Backspace (Labeled Delete on a mac)
Tab (“Cmd”/“Win”/“Super”)
Esc Ctrl

Right:

Space Ctrl
AltGr Del
Shift Alt

The Esc, Ctrl, AltGr and Alt images are as specified in ISO9995-7

PDF:

2 Likes

A small thing, you have eight points on the Ctrl symbol, the linked page shows six.

Look great to me.

Are you planning on providing those symbols for the QWERTY layout as well?

1 Like

The latest revision looks really good to me. Maybe the “led” label could be replaced with a light bulb symbol. If you wanted to be playful, you could label the function keys with “f(x)”. Of course, it is not accurate, since you’re not really invoking mathematical functions by pressing these keys. Does anyone have an idea for symbols that could go on the “fun” and “prog” keys? Also, as @frogmouth pointed out, the ship’s wheel symbol for the control key you use currently has eight spokes, whereas the one from your link to Wikimedia has six. I think it is worth considering using the one from Wikimedia, as it looks cleaner and probably goes better with the symbol on the escape key. It might also be easier to handle in production process. The butterfly symbol looks out of proportion with the other labels to me. If you take a step back and look at the overall appearance of the layout, the butterfly is too big.

facepalm

You are correct. Updated.

Indeed, my control symbol was drawn incorrectly.

The butterfly had been intentional, to match how we do it on other keycap sets, but I’m happy to try it smaller.

I’m not going to mess with the led, fun, and prog keys since there aren’t standard illustrations for them.

No. This is for the QWERTZ set. The US QWERTY set that’s preinstalled is already being made and can not be changed. The “Mac QWERTY” set uses symbols that match what Apple does on US keyboards.

I think the tab symbol is flipped upside down, left arrow should be top, right arrow bottom? :thinking:

1 Like

And so it was. This is what I get for living in a world where “Tab” is pretty much always only tab to the right. Fixed.

Sorry for chiming in so late. Maybe too late… But:

I’ve never seen a keyboard using symbols for Ctrl(Strg), AltGr or Esc.
The symbols for backspace, shift, return and alt look familiar. Though the german windows-keyboards usually do use “Alt” instead of the symbol. That is an apple thing.

I am rather suprised to read about the DIN paper. Never seen most of the symbols mentioned. I don’t really mind myself whether or not symbols or the more common abbreviations are used, since I’m not going to use the keycaps. But I think that using those symbols is going to make the model100 a bit more alien. Maybe that is a good thing? I don’t really know what the main target audience feels like.

In the column “right” you are writing
Space Ctrl
AltGr Del
Shift Alt

As far as I can see on the layout it should read
Space Ctrl
AltGr Return
Shift Alt

which is great because the symbol with the downwards left arrow is clearly “return”, not “delete”.

All the best! Can’t wait to hold the model100 in my hands.

1 Like

(You are correct that I accidentally wrote “Del” instead of “Return” for the return symbol)

I have never seen symbols for CTRL, ALT or ALT GR on German keyboards. I would prefer text labels, maybe next to a symbol.

I personally don’t like the German translations / abbreviations and would prefer English labels as on a Swiss QWERTZ keyboard. (I don’t want a Swiss layout, though)

See this photo of a Cherry Stream keyboard with Swiss QWERTZ layout.

Luckily, every keyboard will come with US QWERTY keycaps, and the localized keycaps are an additional set. As the modifiers are in the same place, you’ll be able to use the German keycaps for most keys, but keep the English keycaps for the modifiers.

The (not really) final result!
Note that i did not change the HJKL keys on the right side but they look somewhat different (shinier) so i am going to change them.
On the left hand i didn’t change more keys but i don’t notice a difference there.

Edit: ok the qwerty keycaps are somewhat shinier than the qwertz keycaps so i ended changing them all. I also noticed that i had forgotten to swap the E key with the € sign:

That’s the new final result. Thanks all!

OK. Next issue: The german keymap in Chrysalis does not agree with the QWERTZ keycaps. In particular the first thing i noticed is that the “Ü” key is not where it is on the physical keyboard.

Yikes. Would you mind opening a bug report against chrysalis over at GitHub - keyboardio/Chrysalis: Graphical configurator for Kaleidoscope-powered keyboards?

No, not at all. I noticed more errors in that keymap. I found the existing github issue #1054 and attached a JSON file with the (hopefully) corrected QWERTZ model 100 keymap.

I would like to get some information about Chrysalis, related to the comments in We need a German QWERTZ layout for the Model 100 · Issue #1054 · keyboardio/Chrysalis · GitHub about host-side layout and the keyboard layout. (I chose “keyboard layout” for the layout matching the keycaps because I did not find a different term.)
I currently use Chrysalis-0.11.5.AppImage.

In Preferences - User Interface - Layout Editor, there is “Keyboard layout - Select the key layout you use on your computer”. Is this the host-side layout or the keyboard layout? Where/how do I select the other? Is it correct to select “German” here when I want to use the QWERTZ keycaps?

In “Layout & Colormap Editor” - “Backup & Restore” - “Load from library”, there are 4 layouts: Colemak, Colemak-dh, Dvorak, Qwerty. Is this the place where QWERTZ should be added?

If there is documentation which explains this, please, give me a link.

That setting is the host-side layout. To select the layout used on your keyboard, the Layout Editor can do that.

Yes. Do keep in mind that all of the layouts in the Library currently assume that the host is set to US QWERTY. We can’t currently auto-translate for different host-side layouts, and doing it manually for the 200+ host-side layouts Chrysalis supports, for every single layout in the library is not practical.

In case of QWERTZ, importing a QWERTZ layout that was made for QWERTY host side, while you’re using QWERTZ should require minimal changes only.

Woow,
there is something going on. My model 100 arrived the other day and I unpacked it today. Happy to have it. But I am split keyboard newbie (not counting the Microsoft Natural Keyboard back in the 90s).

Now I have problems getting started (have the QWERTY version and “Epistory” in my Steam library). I want to learn proper typing and find it hard with the QWERTZ layout. Would love to order a German Key Cap Set. Is already available? I do not want to start and learn it “wrong” and then have to relearn it.

I ordered the translucent key caps and wondering if I should put stickers on it, but would prefer not to. The translucent blank keycaps are for later use, when I learned by heart where the keys are located. For now german key caps would be awesome.

Thanks