Share your layout

OK! I posted earlier today about the layout I was working on, but then saw some really cool ideas and went back to the drawing board. Mostly I’m concerned with the thumb buttons, but am also concerned the placement of a few other things. Anyway, my layout.

I’m on a mac and got used to my mac special keys on the left. I never use the command/etc on the right side, and instead of learning too much new stuff at once, I moved all those keys to the left thumb. Ctrl, Otion, Command, Shift.

The right thumb has some more interesting stuff happening. Shift, Tab, Space, = in regular mode. Shift, Bksp, Enter, - in function mode.

In programming I do a ton of “=” and “-” and “_”, but the standard layout kind of banishes those keys to an odd place. Moving them to the thumb might be too much, but we’ll see.

I moved the arrow keys so they have the inverted T in the home row, which means the curly bracket gets bumped to the left. I have no desire to relearn arrows. I saw that one row layout on some 60% mech keyboards, and apparently popular with vim? Just too many years to switch now.

The tab key gets mapped to backtick in function. This seems like an odd choice, but on a mac, atl-tab switches between windows, but alt-backtick switches between windows of the same process (toggling between Chrome windows, for example). This kind of throws off mouse warp, but I still have a lot of mouse thinking to do anyway.

The only other mod currently is pgdn turns into Shift in function. This makes navigating and selecting text much easier. In mac, command and option let you make line and word boundary cursor movements. Since the left thumb is busy and you’re already holding down fn, using the pinky to hold down “shift” to toggle selecting text is easy to understand (for me).

Still trying it out. Already thinking Tab isn’t good there because I keep hitting it by mistake, but really prefer moving bksp to the function layer because I’d be hitting that by mistake all the time instead.

Also really need an alternate way to do parens. They’re pretty common. Have tried space cadet on me mech keyboard and removed it because I would hit that by accident more than on purpose.

Next up is figuring out how to physically place the keyboard. So far nothing has felt quite “right”, although there’s a lot to adjust to, obviously. I’m thinking it might be better to start flat and add the feet later, but trial and error.

I also switched to Colemak a few weeks ago so I’ve been seriously blowing up my productivity, but I’ve enjoyed the input method rabbit hole I’ve gone down.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/c53eefd3e27e030ae390ea35bef696f5

1 Like

Hey @platypuxbepo thank you for your share. I’m looking for a good bépo layout. Like yours. But I checked you github and you didn’t put it. Could you please ? Do you still maintain it ?
I love the fact that – if I well understood – I can say to my OS that my keyboard should be in bépo and that the keyboardio will still work with the wanted configuration. Because I am on a laptop + Model01. And I want to don’t have to switch the layout of the laptop when my Model01 isn’t connected.

Could you also explain to me what to do to import your configuration please ? Just change the .ino and flash the keyboard ??

Thanks a lot bro !

PS : bépo user for life <3 and new programmer

Hi, @Kalri.

If you don’t get any satisfaction, you could try https://github.com/andrewgdotcom/Model01-Firmware - it should work out of the box with your BÉPO OS layout. Feedback welcome!

1 Like

Hi @andrewg,

Thank you very much for your post ! That’s kind of you.
I was beginning to desperate to have one day a proper bépo layout on my Model01 …!
I will try it and come back to you. Hope that you fixed the removed /avr. Because I tried to install the bépo version of C3ltic but there was problems with it. Or I did something wrong :slight_smile: And as I do not manage to contact him …
You may save my – keyboard – life :smiley: (I spend more than 20 hours with no results…)
We stay in touch,
Thanks !

The default layout should work the same as Celtic’s under BÉPO OS. I try to keep up to date with master, but it is a little behind at the moment. If there are any fatal errors, let me know ASAP and I’ll fix them.

2 Likes

I’m sharing my current layout in bépo. Some keys are blank because I bought an ergonomic touchpad and I don’t know yet where I will set it (on right thumb or on index) and I will remove 2 keys to be more accessible.

Do not hesitate to ask why I set the different key notably on homerow, fn, numpad, thumb keys, there is a reason for each.

The link on last updated version (http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/831524ae41aec20a65ff519557db7f50) and it is not final depending on my personal feedbacks.

1 Like

Maybe I missed something, but it looks like you have only one AltGr key, which is accessed by holding R. This appears to leave you with no way to type a ® character.

Thank you for the feedback. You are right. I did not realize I can’t do ® with my layout (honestly I don’t care). I made it with my old keyboard. But I realized I can’t do also Alt+U.

Hi All! I’ve got a few weeks using this layout and it’s still a work in progress but I’m enjoying it so far. Let me know what you think and any suggestions!

noteable aspects:
-mirrorred MTGAP/BEAKL layout for 30 alpha keys, wanted space on lefthand and opposite /.;,
-oneshot thumb modifiers
-homerow QuKeys modifiers and layers
-not using palm keys because I initially found the inward pronation uncomfortable compared to homerow access
-nav layer is nice for traversing text files
-punctuation layer
-mouse layer with clipboard shortcuts, plan to add a few more like ‘cut line’
-not sure what to do with butterfly key yet

graphic:

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/58b1a25d332f1840d27f6995ab72d7a9

firmware:

1 Like

I’m always delighted to see someone using home-row Qukeys. Has that been working well for you so far?

1 Like

It’s working pretty well so far but I’m going to reserve judgement until I’m up to full typing speed on the new key layout. Only issue has been a few accidental "ctrl+n"s when typing ‘ine’ but nothing else unintended.

If you’re not getting any unintended letter keys when you’re using them for modifiers, you could try decreasing the release delay. That might reduce incidence of unintended modifiers.

2 Likes

I should also add that there’s a rewrite of Qukeys waiting to be merged, which ought to reduce instances of unintended Qukeys output.

1 Like

My suggestion would be to see how it feels to swap apostrophe/quote with colon/semicolon if the QWERTY positioning of the pinky shift over for apostrophe is not too ingrained. The index finger is much more easily able to reach across and down than the pinky is at reaching across (or at least mine, YMMV), so doing contractions with it would feel much more natural if your hand is like mine.

Also A and J are almost never used consecutively with apostrophes, and though U sometimes is (you’d, you’ve, you’ll, you’re), it’s even more common with I and Y (I’ll, I’ve, I’d, I’m, they’ll, they’d, they’ve, they’re) so you’d be using the same finger twice in a row less often if you did that change.

Thanks for sharing, that’s an excellent perspective that I didn’t consider when mirroring the mtgap layout. I’ll try that swap, maybe with Z, or something else. Given my last name, putting Z to the right of Y for a cheater inward roll with pinky and ring for ZY would be nice.

I don’t know about that either - that puts apostrophe on the same finger as N - don’t, can’t, won’t, shouldn’t, wouldn’t, couldn’t etc.

1 Like

Also a good point - I ended up here. Seems to take care of my concerns.

1 Like

Hi all. Here’s the layout that I’m giving a go after having the keyboard for about 24 hours. Here’s a summary of the changes that I made from the default Dvorak layout.

• I drew some inspiration from the layout of the FingerWorks TouchStream for the position of the space, enter, backspace, and delete keys.
  • I changed the default tab and enter keys to be left and right shift, primarily because I kept hitting them by accident, but also because I used to use a gesture on the home row of each hand on the TouchStream which when pressed became shift.
  • I adjusted the arrow keys to better reflect the muscle memory that I have from other keyboards.
  • I moved escape to the top left, which is where I’m used to it being, and I replaced page up with the tab key. Again, I’m trying to rely on muscle memory that I’ve already built up.
  • I setup the modifier keys so that they mirror each hand. This allows me to press a series of modifiers with one hand and then press the modified key with the other. Another habit that I picked up from using the TouchStream.
  • The placement of the { and } characters is meant to mirror the default placement of the [ and ] keys.

All and all I think that it’s working pretty well. The shift keys are taking the longest time to get used to, and I still keep pressing them by accident. I’m also frequently attempting to hit the space key on my left hand and grabbing backspace instead.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/fe24341ddbdf58e4d527b9d35035a975

1 Like

I’ve only made one change since I posted my layout in February last year; that was to switch my Enter key (which had been in the original spot) with my Alt/Option key (which had been on the Any key) because I continued to hit Enter by mistake. That’s been working fine until now, but I’m going to be using my Alt/Option key a lot more often in the future for é, ß, and umlauts ¨. So now I want an Alt key on each side, symmetrically placed, without displacing any of the keys I use frequently… Good luck with that, right? I’ll let you all know if I come up with anything particularly useful!

If you want more key values on a single layer, may I suggest Qukeys?