Share your layout

They work fine on Ubuntu in the original layout! Their names are Key_LeftBracket, Key_Semicolon and Key_Quote in the firmware code! I found them by trying the keys in the regular Ubuntu german key layout.

So yes, my intention is to be OS-independent - because I work with different OS’s and machines during the day, but all of them tend to have a german keyboard layout natively.

Here’s the link to the tastaturaufkleber shop. As an alternative, you could use the one provided by the neo2 wiki.

1 Like

I see, that simplifies things.

(Accidentally posted too soon, I’m still getting used to the enter key’s location!)

I’m enjoying reading others’ ideas here, and getting some inspiration from them. Here’s my current layout, which I’m still tweaking–I just got my Model 01 this week. Blank keys on this map are unchanged from the QWERTY layout it shipped with. Yellow background is a change on the QWERTY layer, blue is a change on the Function layer, pink is a change on the NUMPAD layer.

I enjoyed the idea of the Any key, but I decided I’d rather have a second Cmd key, so I moved Alt there to make room. Similarly, I discovered I use both thumbs for the Space bar (not at the same time!) so I moved BkSp to the butterfly key to make room. I added a colon/semicolon to the Numpad layer since I often use the number pad for entering times in 10:00 format. I moved the down arrow under the up arrow and shuffled the volume keys around to make that work.

2 Likes

Hi everybody, very interesting to check all this !

Still a work in progress.

Panders to a French user of bépo + vim + i3.
What you see is not exactly what you get, insofar as I need to tell the pc that I’m using the bépo layout for it to do what’s displayed here. My .ino is technically still a qwerty except for the stuff that was moved around and the changes made to the function keys. I prefer to have it this way so someone else can switch to qwerty, azerty or whatever.

Vim related stuff :

• “esc” to the left of “a” because of a long time using this space for Vim everywhere else.
  • Arrows shifted one key to the right, because that’s the way I’ve done it on my vimrc from the very beginning. For me there’s no point keeping them not exactly in the home row. Never had to regret that choice so far. Just needs more configuring everywhere, but aren’t we all geeky enough to do that…

i3 :

• “super” very accessible. Had to be right next to “shift” for chording. i3 was already the best thing since sliced bread, but these two keys being chordable just with my left thumb has made it downright glorious.

General reasoning :

• “return” just had to be a dedicated easily accessible thumb key ;
  • There are three tab placings, way too much obviously, but I still haven’t decided which is best yet. I’d tend to prefer the fn+space one, but fn doesn’t play well with chording all the time, so needs more test driving. Right now my fingers really want to reach the “prog” key, which is faaaaar ;
  • The only “shift” is the main left thumb button. Very very convenient, especially for my Vimium conf in Firefox / Chromium ;
  • The right ctrl under the thumb was a shift, but after a few days of keyboardioing I realized I favoured the left shift even for the buttons on the left side, so I’ll try to do it this way. I do prefer this position for ctrl than where the butterfly button is, even though it’s a tad bit harder to reach for me (thumb preferred over index for ctrl) ;
  • alt-gr had to be there given how important it is in the bépo layout. underscores are becoming awesome (alt-gr + space in bépo) ;
  • I don’t give much of a damn about leds, so the dedicated button might change (and maybe survive through a chording with fn), though it is hard to reach for me, so while it may become an “ê” some day, there’s no rush.
  • I’ve swapped the numpad button with the “any” key because I like its original place better for something more useful. For the time being, “ç” is fine there.
  • “ç” being less important than “=” and “%”, these two keys have been assigned to places that are more easily accessible to me.
  • “w” has always been a conundrum in bépo. I’m rather happy with what I’ve done with it, but typing almost more in English than French at the end of the day, I just haven’t reached reached a sense of closure with that little punk.

– “$ / #” is where it’s always been in bépo, but dabbling with PHP quite often, its easy accessibility is just phenomenal. Yay random chance :grin:

I’ll save my .ino on my messy github some day.

5 Likes

Cool, to see another Neo Users here.

I’m also in the process of recreating the NEO layout in the firmware (thanks for figuring out the keycodes ;)).

I’m using Qukeys to map Mod3 directly on the home row, which is just amazing.

3 Likes

I posted the code to my layout several times in the forum. But I finally found the time to make an image of the layout:

Code and comments can be found here:

3 Likes

Just showing changes. Very helpful to have the keyboard layout editor.

I used a Kinesis for many years, plus of course other “normal” keyboards. I got my Keyboardio a couple of weeks ago and after several days of difficulty I figured out which keys were giving me problems and remapped the keyboard. Now I can type with little or no difficulty. Great keyboard!

I can also switch to “normal” keyboards easily again. As I was adapting to the original layout I was starting to have problems switching.

The moved location of the shift and enter keys was the most painful aspect of the layout. The location of tab was also a pain point.

This remapping puts most keys in familiar places for a US typist (similar to most keyboards including Kinesis) or in a few cases adopts a familiar layout but in a new location (e.g. inverted T arrow keys, bracket keys). Some of the specifics are handier for a Mac but mostly this tracks generic US keyboard layouts.

Looking at other posted layouts I see that very many of them have included the inverted T layout for arrows, and many of those duplicate it on the left hand as well. I’d have no conflicts putting a duplicate on the left hand, just didn’t occur to me.

I was surprised to find that I don’t have a strong desire to put a keycode on the one thumb key I left unmapped. No doubt I’ll think of something

I have moved my existing thumb keys around to reflect my layout as best I can, but I’m missing extra thumb keys for duplicated keys (cmd, alt) and one that I’d guess many people would find useful (enter). Perhaps some of the non-thumb keycaps could be moved around but I have not experimented with this since so many shapes are specific to locations.

Since many keycaps no longer reflect the actual function, if I had to look I’d find it very confusing, but I’m a typist who rarely looks at the keyboard. The only problems are when I have to find a little used key.

I can get along fine now, but ideally I’d like new keycaps that reflect this layout. I also think a layout with some of these proposals would make adoption of the keyboard much, much easier.

1 Like

I was having real trouble with the shift keys the first couple of days. Every time I wanted a capital letter, I got a page down instead. I have moved the page up and page down to the far side of the keyboard. I moved shift and discovered I like the default location better once I was no longer randomly getting page down.

I like it, I just wish there was more of it. I’m really really missing the section of the keyboard that should be off to the right and my function keys.

I’m giving serious consderation to building the rest of it as an auxilliary keyboard.

The problem with key caps for tweaked boards is we’ve probably all tweaked them in different ways. I put backspace and enter back where My muscle meamory is expecting them to be, you haven’t done that.

1 Like

here is mine:

keyboard-layout(1)

It’s a hugely modified bépo.
I tried to place all the keys so the most frequently used one are the fastest to reach.

I run a keylogger during a whole day of work and compute the most frequently used keys.

max@laptop % sudo evtest /dev/input/by-id/usb-TypeMatrix.com_USB_Keyboard-event-kbd | tee -a keylogger
max@laptop % grep -F 'value 1' keylogger | grep -P -o '\(KEY_.*?\)' | sort | uniq -c | sort -h > keysort
max@laptop % tail keysort
    966 (KEY_TAB)
    984 (KEY_LEFTSHIFT)
   1011 (KEY_RIGHTBRACE)
   1168 (KEY_SPACE)
   1252 (KEY_BACKSPACE)
   1290 (KEY_I)
   1315 (KEY_LEFTCTRL)
   1658 (KEY_ENTER)
   1932 (KEY_UP)
   2069 (KEY_DOWN)

As you can see I read much more than I type (I work as a sysadmin).

I created a layout based on that. Then during a week I regularly changed some key positions that didn’t feel right (before I get too used to it).
For example I move the “:” near “esc” because I use vim a lot.

EDIT:
I did some modification (for example I moved the [] brackets), here is my current layout.

2 Likes

Just ordered mine (clicky) and am very excited. Jesse/Kaia (whichever answers emails) says new orders are probably going to ship around the end of the month. This is the preliminary version of the layout I’m going to go for. Needless to say, without a board, I can’t be sure this will be its final form.

I got rid of the numpad layer, as a layer, and moved the numpad down a row. I plan to do almost all my number typing on the numpad, so I don’t want to have to reach every time, nor take my fingers off the home row. that “num lock” on the ‘b’ key is a literal num lock button.

If I were planning to use the number key row as numbers, I’d probably shuffle them around. As it is, I might end up reassigning that row to their corresponding symbols, (as opposed to those of the programmer dvorak layout)

I’m thinking of adding all kinds of “modes”, or groups of related layers. I saw a good gaming layer somewhere on this forum. I’ll repurpose the num button as a mode button to switch between them. I’m thinking of “naming” them by a color and a single digit (e.g. “red 1”, “blue 3”), and coloring each row when picking. Then it only takes one press to pick from up to 30 or 40 modes.

The butterfly button is a compose key. I use a piece of software called Wincompose so I can use that functionality in Windows.

I might also eventually squeeze in F13-F24 for fun.

This is what results when you:

• Want punctuation on thumb keys - the (m)s stand for macros, they’re not yet functional but the intention is to do the punctuation, a space and a one shot shift, or for enter, a full stop, and Enter (or two) and a one shot shift.
  • Want keyboard shortcuts that you’d use while mousing to all be on the left half
  • Want your layout to avoid common bigraphs being done on the same finger, both by a redial key for repeated letters and by optimising letter placement.
  • Prioritise home finger spots for most common letters like most layouts, but not the home row spots which need you to move your index finger, and avoiding the hard to reach spots.
  • Hope one day you can get SpaceCadet-style custom keycaps.
  • Like a few TopsyTurvies and ShapeShifts for your symbols to put them in better places.

Still to be implemented:

• Tapdance letter keys for diacritics (should be easy enough, and incentivises me to consistently use “redial” instead of repeating keypresses)
  • The pink coloured left-handed numpad (easy enough, just haven’t been bothered yet)
  • The punctuation macros with one-shot shift incorporated.
  • A Shift layer so I can completely control what is shifted and unshifted input (doing this caused a bug and needed recovery measures for some reason, so I’m in no rush to do this right now).
  • QWERTY-esque gaming layer with wasd on esdf keys as proposed in a thread here. Again, just haven’t been bothered, but easy to do.

Hello @algernon slight nitpicking here but for aesthetics sake can you adjust the central two keys of the left thumb cluster to be more in the curve? The right one is OK but I’m not sufficiently conversant with KLE nuances to do the changes myself. Thanks!

Heh, up until now, I didn’t even notice. Fixed it - at least I hope so.

Since I finally got my Keyboardio and had a chance to see how my fingers work with it, I designed my first draft of the layout I’m looking at using. It’s a version of Programmer’s Dvorak with some fun stuff mixed in.

Plugins so far:
OneShot
Escape-OneShot
LED-ActiveModColor
TopsyTurvy
ShapeShifter

Black = Button
Green = Shift + button
Blue = Fn + button
Purple = Fn + shift + button
Red = Numlock

• in front = OneShot
    m in front = Macro

MehA/B/C/D and Hyper keys are all modifier combos for fancy things I do with Alfred, Keyboard Maestro, and a few other apps
Moom is a window placement app I use
“Move 2 left/Right Display” is a macro to use Moom to move a window over to other displays
=> is just a quick macro to put in fat arrows for programming

Probably several changes to come as I get used to things, plus I’m taking this opportunity to try and learn Dvorak, so if that doesn’t go well over the next few weeks I will probably be recreating this with QWERTY.

I also have lots of thoughts coming for lighting effects that I am just putting off until I get used to programming the keyboard itself a little bit.

Comments on this are welcome as I’m just getting started here!

2 Likes

It’s been a while since your post here, but this is close to what I’m looking for. Would you mind, and is there a way you can share a link so I can fork your layout?
KEYMAPS defs too, would be greatly appreciated!

"Want punctuation on thumb keys - the (m)s stand for macros, they’re not yet functional but the intention is to do the punctuation, a space and a one shot shift, "
I’m interested how to do it (I tried some stuffs without success). I created a topic on it in Plugins section How to create a macro like typing Space then OSM(LeftShift) with OneShot plugin

All of this was super helpful to me, thanks! I posted my config info here:

1 Like

Is a keyboard-layout-editor.com layout for the default QWERTY layout available somewhere?

It seems like a useful tool for displaying layouts, but I suspect many people would start with a default layout as a starting point and make a few minor modifications from there. I just want a nice way to show an alternate layout of thumb keys, it would be nice not to have to specify all the other default keys and their Fn alternatives etc!

Well, since I’ve received my M01, I’ve been doing fiddling and finally have reached a layout that’s more or less going to remain constant. Notes:

• Slightly modified Dvorak - U and I switched
  • I aim to move my fingers off the three main rows as little as possible. This means that there’s no top row on any layout (except QWERTY, if my gf needs to use my workstation in a pinch).
  • Numpad and F-keys on L-FN
  • Symbols on R-FN with a bit of tap-dance on bracket (once for round, twice for square). These were calculated with a character frequency counter for the programming languages I use and put on the respective fingers based on finger strength and travel… with a nod towards vim as well.
  • There’s a few dual-keys because it makes life easier for me (ie. tap for ESC, hold for CTRL)
  • Pinkies have at max three keys to press; similarly, ring finger going to bottom row is awkward for me so I have it doing that as little as possible
  • R-FN + ALT or SHIFT takes me to a ‘media’ or ‘arrow’ layer respectively.
  • Copy/Paste and Undo/Redo… don’t know how I feel about it… it’s an experiment. We’ll see.

I think there’s some great functionality left to get out of some remapping but they’ll always adhere to these general ideas for ergonomics.

2 Likes

This is my layout, fully one-handed, inspired by the FrogPad layout and adapted to German and French use. I am using it on a Mac, so it is designed in a way that I can easily use shortcuts such as + to jump between windows or + space to get to Spotlight instead of having to move my hand to the trackpad. Oh yes, and since my surname is annoying to type with such a “frogboardio” layout, it has a Macro with my surname. :hugs:

(Sorry for the bulky design, was too lazy to translate it into the layout editor…)

5 Likes