Typing practice

Hey all! I just got my model 01 in the mail yesterday! I’ve been playing around with different typing practice apps and found one that I wanted to share: typing.io is a typing training site for programmers. I guess not all of us are software professionals here, but I’m guessing most of us are. You have to sign in with your google account to use it which is a little suspect, but I’ve been enjoying it.

8 Likes

In general, I like the idea. However, it makes me type a lot of stuff that I really wouldn’t be typing otherwise, as my IDE autocompletes most of the boilerplate code. I also didn’t agree with the coding style that it was enforcing for some of the open source projects it was using as templates.

Personally, for me, I am going to just use the keyboard for a few hours a day writing new code, and will switch back when I need to for productivity. I like the idea, but I think that just typing real code, for me, will be a better way to learn. That’s what I had to do on my ergodox when I built that. I was terrible for a few weeks, but caught up and eventually surpassed my old speed. I am expecting something similar to happen here.

5 Likes

A friend learning Colemak just played through http://www.epistorygame.com/ on the weekend and highly recommended it. When my Model 01 arrives I plan on checking it out.

When I learned Colemak a couple years ago I practiced for hours with this: rle.me/colemak - a simple image of the keyboard, and a text area. It gives a reference without having to look at the keyboard, just eyes on the screen!

6 Likes