A more stable angled center bar

Does anyone else feel that the angled center bar needs to reach to the surface of the desk to offer more stability? I find it a bit disconcerting that the center of the keyboard flexes when pressure is applied. I know the user guide says that you need to use the stands when using the angled center bar, but wouldn’t a moulded plastic piece that reached the desk be much simpler, and not require one to raise the keyboard up on the stands? I guess I’m suggesting this as an accessory for those who want it.

1 Like

There’s a thread here where someone rolled their own to do what you’re suggesting by attaching a solid block to the bottom of the bar - iirc, the magic number is 2 cm.

2 Likes

Sorry. I misread your post initially. Deleted my post as it was redundant.

One of the use cases we wanted to support was…how I tend to use the Model 01: in my lap.

An earlier version of the angled center bar had flip-out feet. It just wasn’t…very good.

Another way to get what you want would be a bent-metal stand that screws into both of the tripod mounts.

4 Likes

@trauring: Did u figure out how to achieve that?

Related: You mentioned that the stands are needed to use the central bar, how do you proceed? Quick inspection shows that opposite feet touch each other.

Cheers,

Thomas

It seems like they would, but they don’t. I think this is the cleverest bit of design found in the box. The two octopods are identical, but a straight line from the highest point to the lowest lines up halfway between one of the feet and the “valley” between the feet, so whenever the two stands are in a position where the right half of the top surface is a mirror image of the left half top surface, the feet on one stand line up with the “valleys” on the other. Because @jesse is brilliant.

4 Likes

Thanks @merlin, I just plugged them and it works :slight_smile: