Basic manual for firmware hacking

Would there be any point in producing a basic manual for hacking the firmware? Or is the graphic interface close enough to being ready to make the effort unnecessary?

By “basic,” I mean covering such details as editing the keybindings, creating layers, and where plugins should be stored – not a complete manual for programming.

If there’s a need, I am seriously considering doing one.

Even if the GUI would be close enough, I’d say there’d still be a need. There are things you will never be able to do with the GUI, so a basic guide to firmware hacking would be useful nevertheless.

@bbyfield That’s something that would definitely be a huge boon to Kaleidoscope. It’s been our intent that that documentation would live as part of https://github.com/keyboardio/Kaleidoscope/wiki

Some bits of what you mention are already there, but we know we still have a long way to go.

I’m pretty busy right now, but I figure that writing will force me to learn more systematically – and sooner.

Some of what’s on the wiki looks very thorough to me.

I set out to do some of that documentation work last fall. I wasn’t comfortable writing anything up until I understood the code fully. Then I accidentally started writing code instead…

3 Likes

That’s the danger of documentation. If you want to do a decent job, it requires you to learn what you’re writing about.

Too many technical writers don’t bother – which is one reason why there is so much poor documentation about.

1 Like