Chrysalis - layout & keyboard settings editor

(Gergely Nagy) #41

Yep, it’s for that. I’m not happy how the default layer selection is presented, but wasn’t able to come up with anything better yet.

It’s… not that much work. Duly noted (#76), I completely forgot about DualUse keys.

Thank you for taking it for a spin and providing feedback! <3

(David Aue) #42

I added an issue for outputting the key maps as C code.

The modifier chekboxes are not active for me. I assume you must know that but just in case…

The bottom right plus control doesn’t fit my conception of how it’s commonly used in design language. I thought it would probably add a new layer before I clicked it.

I don’t see a way to add layers yet. Again, I assume you already realize that but that would seem like another key feature.

(Gergely Nagy) #43

Yep, that’s a known limitation. I disabled them instead of letting them be enabled but doing nothing. (#63)

Mhm. What do you think would be a better place to put the speed dial? Or rather, what would be the best way to make the same-ish functionality available that’s less surprising?

Adding layers is… not the most intuitive at the moment. There’s limited amount of space on the keyboard’s EEPROM, and we pre-allocate slices of it for various purposes, at compile-time. So there’s no way to extend the number of layers, you only have as many as you configured (3+5 with the factory firmware; 3 read-only in PROGMEM, 5 additional ones in EEPROM). Thus, an “Add Layer” button doesn’t fit this model.

The way you “add” layers is choose one that’s past the read-only PROGMEM layers, and set it up as if it were your default, replacing the built-in ones. Then you set it as the default. (We’ll provide a copy layer functionality later on, to make this task easier).

I suppose this should be better explained, and a help button, or help screen would go a long way.

If we can come up with a way that allows the built-in, read-only keymap to be able to switch to an EEPROM layer, and make that configurable, that will open up a few new possibilities.

(Gergely Nagy) #44

I just tagged another release of Chrysalis, 0.1.0, the first one I’d consider “alpha”. Functionality-wise not much have changed since 0.0.6, but a lot of polishing was done, lots of small stability and UI improvements were made to make the experience of using it much less scary. I’ve tested it on Linux, Windows 10 and OSX, and every functionality worked on all three platforms, a big improvement over 0.0.6 already.

I realize it’s the holidays, so taking it for a spin is the last thing on people’s minds, but I wanted to have something nice under the virtual tree, so:

Happy Holidays!

(Gergely Nagy) #45

I just released another Chrysalis pre-release, version 0.3.0 this time (there was a 0.2.0, with many improvements, but wasn’t announced here). It’s a release where I was seriously contemplating branding it beta instead of alpha. A lot of polish went into this, as can be seen from the release notes:

If you can take it for a spin, and report any issues, that would be amazing. I’ve had a few people test previous builds, and the feedback we received was invaluable, and made it possible to polish the design much better than I would’ve been able to on my own.

There are binary builds available for Linux (Ubuntu 18.04+), Windows (10+), and OSX. I’ve tested all, and they all work (except for flashing ErgoDox or Atreus under OSX - that’s something I’ll fix in an upcoming 0.3.1 release).