Cleaning the switches, switches not working correctly and or Chatter The fix to try first

Is it time that we post the official information on how one should clean the Matias switches in the Model 1? @jesse

I have over 5 cases of needing to reference how to clean these switches and each time I have to reference past support emails from Keyboardio and or recommend people contact the help email alias.

Are we still needing to contact help via email to get this valuable potentially time saving information? Seems like we should have an official post / procedure, since it seems like this issue may be fairly common if your keyboard get a lot of use and if it has the over lubed switches.

This cleaning procedure should be the first thing someone tries before attempting to disassemble switches or un-solder and start replacing switches. The cleaning process generally works, It has worked over 5 times for me to remove chatter temporarily up to 3 months at a time. In once case it fix a switch that I thought for sure was going to need to be taken apart or replaced.

I can’t imagine how bad my keyboard would be working if it was never cleaned since I put it into continuous service, and it seems likely that there could be many folks thinking they have bad switches, when really cleaning would resolve the issues.

To be honest as a public service we should laminate and print the instructions and attached it to the back of of the keyboard permanently. Since I imagine in the distant future it would save a lot of these keyboards from ending up in the trash.

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: What to do if your keyboard seems to duplicate keystrokes or a key stops working

A post was merged into an existing topic: What to do if your keyboard seems to duplicate keystrokes or a key stops working