Keyboard Maintenance

(Bruce Byfield) #1

I’ve had my Mode 01 for half a year now, using it at least 8 hours most days. Recently, I’ve been plagued by sticky keys and common keys that strike twice unless I strike them exactly right. Much more, and the keyboard may become unusable.

Any maintenance hints that might help?

(Chris Kemper) #2

Ive had the same issue with all mechanical keyboards in my home - I think dog dander gets in. For my custom bamboo Bluetooth T. E. C. K. Every 9-12 MO this I remove the PCB from the enclosure and soak it in 90% rubbing alcohol… Upside down and agitate/press all keys a few times. Let it soak for an hour, agitate it a fain, let it dry overnight and reassemble.
For my office keyboardio M01 a weekly gentle blast of air seems to be enough.
Email Jesse first… But I would pull the caps and use a syringe to apply a few drops of rubbing alcohol to each switch first.

(𐲓𐳜𐳥𐳜 𐲐𐳘𐳢𐳉 ᚍᚓᚈᚐᚂ) #3

Completely off-topic but I really have to ask if you have a photo of that?

(Chris Kemper) #4

T.E.C.K. Keyboard conversion to BT/Wireless and custom case

(𐲓𐳜𐳥𐳜 𐲐𐳘𐳢𐳉 ᚍᚓᚈᚐᚂ) #5

That’s very nice indeed!

To be on topic a bit too I can also recommend applying a few drops of rubbing alcohol onto misbehaving keys, works for me whenever one of them becomes chatty.

(Bruce Byfield) #6

I removed the keycaps on the problem keys, and used an air blow to clean out the space. Problem solved, I’m happy to say.

(Bruce Byfield) #7

After eight months, I still enjoy typing on my Model 01. However, after six months, I am finding that, every 7-8 weeks, I have to remove the keycaps of a couple of keys and dab rubbing alcohol on them. Specifically, the keys are E and Space, which I suppose are among the most commonly used ones. About 8 weeks ago, I gave the same treatment to A and P, but so far they are holding.

Is anyone else finding similar maintenance routines necessary?

(Tom) #8

Yes, it’s something I have to do regularly as well on both of my Model 01s. Typically about two keys per month, regardless of whether it’s the keyboard I use daily or the one I use less. It’s annoying, but worth the overall experience.

I have the same problem with both my keyboards. It happens more often than every 7-8 weeks.

(James Cash) #10

Yeah, I’m finding the same. Every month or so, I put it in the test mode, so I can test which keys are chattering & clean those out with rubbing alcohol.

(Daniel Shields) #11

I perform a similar routine except it’s always the right control key. I think the issue is exaggerated by the use of one shot modifiers.