Fixing repeating keys permanently

Hi,

I first noticed some keys were repeating on me a while back. That was relatively easy to fix, popping the key cap off and working a drop of rubbing alcohol into the switch.

Working at home a lot lately, and I’m noticing more keys are starting to repeat. Individually it’s not a big deal, as I can fix them in a few minutes. However, I wonder where this is going? Is this a problem that will eventually hit all my keys? And is my ‘fix’ permanent? I don’t think any key I’ve fixed has had the problem recur. I’m up to about five or six keys that have needed care, and with regular use a new key has started acting up every couple of days or so.

IF my fix is permanent, and IF this is inevitably going to hit every key, it might be worth spending an hour and pulling all the caps off and working a drop of alcohol into each switch.

Any advice?

ty

Hello again,

18 months later, and I’m still wondering about this. New keys start repeating every week or so. Cleaning them up, by popping the keycaps off, applying a bit of rubbing alcohol, and tapping the affected key for several minutes in different configurations, has become a semi-regular routine.

Any advice on how to permanently fix this? Or is this just a fact of life for first gen Keyboardios?

Have you tried the steps here? Guide: A second step to fixing key chatter

2 Likes

I just found that yesterday. I’ll give it a try ASAP.

Did it work? Please keep us updated.

My 2 keyboards have been having the same problem since the Kickstarter. No amount of cleaning alcohol seems to help.

I eventually want to try that guide for fixing the key chatter as well, but it does look intimidating.

I’m also a bit reluctant to start pulling my switches apart! I am going to do one more cycle with alcohol before I take that step. I have pulled all my key caps off, vacuumed out the accumulated debris, and then very liberally applied alcohol for the “clicking upside down and shake it all about” treatment.

‘a’ was sticking last, so I did the whole row A-G. That fixed it (for now), but of course as soon as I reconnected ‘t’ started repeating. So I repeated for Q-T. After having gone all out, if any key starts acting up again, I’ll have to try out the switch repair approach.

Naively, the switch issue seems like a problem stemming from a getting a bad component. Which should hopefully be rare, and not something that pops up in many keys on the same board? In contrast, the switch grease issue that alcohol is supposed to fix seems more likely to be something that would affect all the keys on a keyboard, if they were all subjected to the same lubrication protocol during manufacture.

I suppose we’ll find out. So far I’ve been skip free all week, so that’s a start.

1 Like

Today was the enter key. Nothing gets the heart racing like blasting through a bunch of confirmation dialogues without knowing what you’ve just agreed to! Here’s hoping the default options are what I wanted…