2nd hand Model 01 with QMK and lots of key-stutter

(I already did the alcohol cleaning method, and it did not help).
I bought it 2 weeks ago, but only yesterday started doing some typing, with a completely new layout (so I am VERY slow), and yet I see key-stutter quite a lot (one in 50 chars), on many different keys. It always works like this, when it happens: key gets stuck (as if held down), until one presses an other/the same key.
I wonder if this might be a firmware issue instead of a hardware one. I also have the key 1 not registering at all, and currently am failing to flash kaleidoscope back onto it for testing, but surely should do try to do that again!

Managed to get the example Kaleidoscope firmware flashed, and the Key_1 key is working there. now testing whether there will be shutter …

so far, no stutter after about 200 chars (I am very slow with the new layout)

… great! :slight_smile:
so my hardware is fine, but that means that the QMK settings/way of scanning keys is somehow causing key-stutter

I (seem to) recall that some debouncing algorithm was added/improved to Kaleidoscope after a while.

I would say that QMK is not causing the stuttering, as much that it is not masking that property of the keyswitches.

hmmm…
Key-stutter every 50 keystrokes on average … I have problems to imagine it would have taken “a while” (anything more then one hour of testing by a single person) to realize that this is unusable. Jessy could not have shipped any Model 01 like that, or he’d gotten terrible reviews and would have been out of business before it started.
… but maybe you are right, and I just got something wrong.

Has anyone else tried QMK on the Model 01?

Is it always the same keys that repeat? or are you getting random key-stutter?. I had key-stutter issues only on some keys ever since I first got my keyboard and while the alcohol method worked, the issue always came back.

Eventually just cleaning wasn’t enough so I had to look into soldering off the offending keys to fix my problems. In my case it seems that the excess residue that the alcohol removes weakens the metal bit that detects a keypress and with constant use they don’t bounce back like they used to, it starts with key-stutters and it ends with either the metal bit falling off or being lose enough that it doesn’t register a key press.

Hey,
I’m facing the same issue. It seems to me, that some changes in qmk in the last 12-15 month cause excessive key stutter or kaleidoscope has a lot of improvements.
I’m not really willing to change back to kaleidoscope as I re-use some part of my configuration for another keyboard.

Do you still have keys, that don’t get recognized?

1 Like

I switched back to Kaleidoscope, where I had zero key-stutter so far.
thanks @flyinggecko for that info! Good to know it worked in the past and that you guess it is a QMK change (or so I interpret it).
I don’t have time to investigate though.

Finally I had time to rewrite my layout in Kaleidoscope and it seems the key-stutter is gone.

@hoijui sadly, me neither.

1 Like