Model 01 keys dying?

Hello everyone, I got my Model 01 back in 2017 and it worked well. However, now it seems I’m reaching its end-of-life. Like many 01s it would suffer from a occasional double-typing. Usually the common fix for that worked. However about two weeks ago I came to work to find nearly all keys either double-typing or not doing anything at all. I am not aware that anyone would spill anything on the keyboard or anything like that.

Non-responsive keys start working after pressing them strongly, but still miss clicks or double-click every now and then. Turning the keyboard upside down and pressing repeatedly helps only slightly. Overall it gets better towards the end of the day, but it gets the same next day of after weekend. Either way, having re-type words is getting annoying.

Has anyone experienced such a sudden surge in bad key behavior? Is there something I can try (resoldering something, etc.)? I know that dust and dirt can get in the keys over time, but so many at once? Or should I prepare to get a new Model 100?

Replacing the switches by resoldering them should fix your problems. Matias switches are quite easy to get in bulk. $50 later and you’ll have enough switches for a lifetime. You could even get vintage Alps switches if you don’t like the Matias keyfeel.

Alternatively, you could try to get a Model 100 on ebay or on this forum, there are often great deals from people who bought it out of excitement but ended up not being able to get used to the layour. I got my Model 01 on ebay for around $150 USD

Thanks a lot, I will try replacing the switches. I don’t want to throw my keyboard away if I can help it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I’m having most of the keys on the right half of my Model 01 misbehaving the way you describe: double-typing, or typing once on descent then back on ascent of the key… What drives me crazy is, it’s only on the right side keys. None of the left half.

I don’t get it. I’ll order replacement Matias switches and get to soldering as well, because I like the maple look :smiley:

I guess you already tried another UTP cable. Is it traveling a lot, with disconnecting and reconnecting the UTP perhaps damaging the connector on the right half?

The keyboard didn’t travel at all in the last 3 years. I have not moved it from my desk other than during a move in April, and it worked fine for two months after that.

I’ve got the Matias bag of 200 switches in the mail, so we’ll see how long they last after replacement.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

BTW, does anyone have an idea, where I can get spare Matias switches in Europe? The U.S. store is nice, but does not ship to Europe. All the European resellers I tried (or even the official store) seem to just sell keyboards, but not standalone switches… :confused:

Matias said they changed the manufacturing process after Keyboardio brought the metal fatigue issue to their attention, and I have not seen anyone complaining about replacement keyswitches also failing, so I suspect you’ll be able to bring your replacement rate to practically zero and still have most of those 200 left over. Keep a few spares and post the rest on the For Sale forum.

Edit: Or just sell half of them to Vojtěch now?

Overall it gets better towards the end of the day, but it gets the same next day of after weekend.

I’m curious what could cause this. Is your office cold when you arrive, and warm later in the day?

There are three causes of key chatter that are especially common in the switches Matias provided early in Keyboardio’s manufacturing run: Wandering lubrication, floating right stem, and metal fatigue.

“Floating right stem” is my name for the less known one. It’s described in a thread by user “uosl” with the title “Guide: A second step to fixing key chatter.” I think possibly a lot of cases of this are being under-treated as lubrication problems, or over-treated by replacing the whole switch.

Do email support@keyboard.io about this, especially before you buy a Model 100.

I got mine from Matias Quiet Click Key Switch Modules x 200 : KS101Q-200 : The Keyboard Company - Shipped to Switzerland in < a week.

Just got my 200 silent linears, also from the keyboard company. Swapped out the right half tonight. I have to admit, it was quite tedious, and took several hours. :slight_smile:
Currently typing with tactiles on the left and lenears on the right :sweat_smile:
Gonna get myself a new, better solder-sucker and maybe read up on some pro-tips before i do the right half.

Have fun guys!

I’m curious what could cause this. Is your office cold when you arrive, and warm later in the day?

It is the often the opposite. The AC in the office building is scheduled to turn on around 8 a.m… Before that the room can get hot, especially when there are often several big office printers turned on (we develop sw for those). Also when I am not there, there may be direct sunlight.

The problems did get better overall. Most of the keys went back to behaving correctly only about 4 or 5 have repeated chatter (some other may have rare chatter too).

Anyway, I’ve ordered a batch of keys. Thanks a lot for the link! I will replace just the few problematic ones and watch out for the rest.