Custom Mounts - What are your ideas?

One thing I learned is you can build your own RAM mount.

Oh, like, two of these and one of these? That’s a great idea, thanks.

I haven’t looked over all the resources on your big list above, but do you know if there are other places that sell comparable parts? Ram’s “small” Tough Claw only goes down to 5/8" clamping diameter, and the barrel connector I have is 1/2".

For a quick solution I’m trying these clamps:

Seem sturdy enough (ordered one just to see, got another 2 on order)… will have to be ‘above’ table. I ordered the 3rd and a little iPhone holder https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06ZZMXGK9/ to try use my iPhone as a track pad: using http://mobilemouse.com/ - clamped to the keyboardio as thats the biggest annoyance for me so far… having to loose touch with the keyboard.

1 Like

I do remember seeing a band you could tighten around motorcycle handle bars and that had the ball attachment.

UPDATE: @blakej here you go https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-231Z-A-366U

You can better see the parts in this GoPro version:

2 Likes

Thanks. I actually ordered an EZ-Strap Base and double-ball adapter earlier this evening, with the goal of hooking it up to my Arkon clamp. If that doesn’t work, I’ll probably try this next.

UPDATE: that EZ-Strap Base uses RAM “snap link” balls, which are 3/4" in diameter; as far as I can tell, there’s no connector between this ball standard and the 1" rubber balls that most of the other RAM mounts (and my Arkon clamp) use. :frowning:

It looks like this is the base of the two things @leoj3n mentioned in the previous comment. Gonna order one of those now.

I have an Apple magic trackpad and you can get hold of windows drivers from the bootcamp installer. They work on my work laptop and another couple of machines I have tried.

It is a flat plate with no moving parts and reacts to very little pressure, so minimal force mounting. Worth a look if you are looking for a mousing alternative.

:slight_smile:
Waiting for my model 01 delivery very soon!

I’m also looking at custom mounts - thanks for the ideas!

1 Like

Turns out the Joby gorillapods are pretty awesome for typing in bed. I set one over each thigh and can rearrange at whim so they stay at the angle most comfortable from moment to moment.

11 Likes

http://www.rigwheels.com/product/rigmount-magnetic-mount-with-head/

1 Like

In contrast to many of the excellent ideas here, I’ve been using a low tech solution. The tented centre bar isn’t sufficiently load bearing to use on its own. On the other hand, the octo feet are solid but quite bulky.

So I stuck a cardboard box to the bottom of the tented bar. If it is exactly 2cm thick it takes all the pressure off the connection. And then you can use any flat surface, such as a beanbag breakfast tray.

It’s not quite armrest mounted, but it comes out about the same position.

3 Likes

When I get some time this weekend or next, of whenever, I plan on cutting a piece of wood to place under or screw to the center bar. I was thinking the same thing, apply a little too much pressure and you might snap that center (tented) bar. Will post pics but don’t hold your breath.

1 Like

If you’re going to go that route and have the ability to cut wood at reasonably precise angles, you could create a slightly larger bar with holes you could use to screw into both tripod mounts.

2 Likes

hmm. I have friend’s with nicer toys than my own, I may have to pay them a visit… but that will have to wait till I get a second M01 or my 3rd M01 to leave for them to prototype with.

I think I need to bring my keyboard with to my parents’ place for Thanksgiving and make use of some of the goodies in Dad’s shop. :slight_smile: This is the type of thing I had in mind, but for some reason I was thinking of hooking into the slides instead of mounting to the tripod mounts, which makes much more sense, and would let me get rid of the octo-feet, which as others have noted are a little too wide. I’ve been contemplating trimming the toe of the foot that edges up against my mousepad, which would let me keep my mousepad an inch closer to the keyboard, but I think I like this idea better.

1 Like

If you have a router you might be able to route out the wood and treat it as a center bar instead of attaching it to a center bar?

Nevermind, I read the other descriptions, and I like the idea of using the tripod mounting holes instead. I think that two wooden blocks with a tongue and groove setup between them would be even better. You could then have the two halves slide together for smaller work areas or be able to take them apart if you want to spread your hands a little.

K.Andersen, if you end up doing this take pictures (and measurements please), I’m not into reinventing the wheel, if I get to it, I’ll do the same.

1 Like

That is likely to destroy the structural integrity of the stand. Trimming the mouse pad, while possibly a heresy, is likely to be easier and safer.

personally, I’ve been thinking of milling some stands and that are basically solid blocks of wood in the shape of the keyboard just cut at the angle I would like to hold the keyboard at. to do this properly, I world need to mill out little cut outs for the feet and the rails.

if I had just a little bit more free time, I could prototype them and put up the design somewhere.

5 Likes

Those little clip on stands ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MR0VPOQ/ ) are not bad at all, but you need to tighten the screws holding it together (keyboardio screw driver parts worked, but angle means you need something to hold them like pliers)

I did notice I wasn’t taking my keyboard home because it was a faff to pack-up having to take the stands off… so I’ve also bought these quick release base plates so it will be easy to take off just the keyboard and leave the stands setup: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016CXKRYM/

I think long term I’ll get some stronger clamps for work and keep the clip on ones for home/on the road.

1 Like

Another quick release option would be the one on the right in the photo below. It’s a magnetic mount from the site @leoj3n mentions above. Looks like it would be thinner than the quick release you mention. Thus perhaps easier to carry. Of course it requires the item you are attaching it to to be metal/magnetic. (Both the one’s shown are magnetic, but the one on the right is thinner and thus more suited to your use case I think.)

Noted. For some reason I wasn’t thinking that the stand is likely hollow.

No offense, but that sounds like major over-engineering. My thought is more along the lines of a 2x6 with the ends cut at the angle I want, and intentionally smaller than the keyboard. The fanciest thing there would be recessing a spot for the knobs to screw into the tripod attachment. Good point about needing to account for the rails, though.

That was my original thought. I don’t have a router, but my dad does. His masters is in Industrial Ed; he can make anything out of wood or metal, and has a pretty decent workshop.