Custom Mounts - What are your ideas?

Thanks everyone for sharing your ideas! I took them and came up with something that was easy for me to implement and fits my needs. Here’s what I came up with. I use a standing desk and wanted a mount that could keep the Model 01 slanted downwards so my arms are in a more relaxed position when I stand, similar to some of the other implementations that were shared in this thread. Alternatively, if I want to sit down, I can adjust the arms to go under the desk.

Let me know what you think or have any questions. Hope it helps some of you!

Materials:
1 of https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007LTH1X2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00
2 of https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546356-REG/Manfrotto_035RL_035RL_Super_Clamp_with.html (I didn’t use the standard stud)
2 of https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/354218-REG/Manfrotto_196AB_2_196AB_2_Articulated_Arm.html

The build feels pretty solid. Not sure if the super clamps are overkill or not. You might be able to use something cheaper but my cousin who’s a photographer had these already so I asked him to borrow them to experiment.

!

6 Likes

Nice setup :+1: @joeynguyen. How’s it been working out for you?

It’s been working great! I’ve moved it around in several positions before finding one I like. The mounts are sturdy and my keyboard hasn’t dropped to the ground or anything.

2 Likes

Whoa, pretty cool. How stable? Could it hold up to the weight of your hands without moving?

Also, can you point me to what you bought to make this a reality?

Note: reposting here and deleting my own thread about this. Forgot this one existed and it’s more appropriate here.

Hey friends,

I started using a new set of stands for my Model 01 and thought I’d share some pictures and thoughts. Previously I’d used the official octopus stands in tented split configuration, but was surveying options for alternative stands. I enjoy making things and coming up with and testing different solutions to problems and felt inspired by the setups fellow users posted here.

Now, I haven’t been on here too much recently, but I don’t think I’ve seen people use z-flex camera mounts as stands before. I came across them online at some point and thought they just might be perfect:

The particular ones I got were these. Given the low price compared to similar products, I am super happy with the build quality. Nicely machined aluminium and easily sturdy enough for my application.

I initially tried them just as they were:

I realised that on my not perfectly even desk surface - an old workbench top I upcycled - they wobbled a bit. On a flat surface, that wouldn’t have been an issue. However, I also found that - especially with the steep angles I tried initially - some more surface grip would be preferable, too. So I built a base for each side with a thick and heavy rubber sheet at the bottom. I designed them so the z-flex mounting position was adjustable:

These added a bunch of grip and as they were nice and heavy, my Model 01 wouldn’t go anywhere. I found the fact that they added some height problematic, though. It just made using them less comfortable. So I went ahead and devised new bases cut from ABS plastic sheets. As these were much thinner, I had to commit to a fixed mounting position. Since I knew the range of angles I wanted to achieve though, this wasn’t a problem. Pieces of old bicycle tube I got from someone who’d swapped them out for new ones (great material for all sorts of prototyping projects, by the way) were used to make the new bases grippy.

I’ve been using this setup for a few weeks now and I’m super happy with it. The thin and therefore flexible ABS bases in combination with the bicycle tube eliminate any wobble I’d experienced initially and give me plenty of grip.

Bonus: What’s nice about camera gear is that they offer additional mounting points. One example of this is connecting the two Model01 halves - in this case with a stereo bar for microphones:

17 Likes

That’s a really innovative solution Simon. Z-flex mounts do seem like a good solution. Thanks for sharing, and especially for the details of your “journey” in perfecting it, and for the detailed photos.

While @keyboardio did lots of things right with the Model 01, I think the decision to use a standard camera mount for attaching the base, and thus allowing for optional mounts, was the best thing that they did. This thread is a testament to that.

4 Likes

Similar thread - my solution pretty quick and simple. I find under-desk the most comfortable near-vertical position.

2 Likes

I decided to buy two of these:

…and happened to have two of these:

…to make this:

The camera arms said they could handle 5 kg, but I’m not finding these as perfectly steady as I want. For now, they’re pretty steady enough. Maybe I could reinforce the hold somehow.

I’m still finding the perfect angle. That’s where this configuration succeeds, as I have the range of motion to achieve any configuration I want. The arms are just far enough away to allow the two keyboards to be parallel to each other and not bump into the desk or the C-clamps.

Give me a few months, and I’ll let you know how it works.

(If you’re curious about the ethernet cable:)

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing - that looks like almost exactly what I’ve been looking for! I’m currently using the included stands at work, but I’m going to have to try this out.

1 Like

I’m glad you like them. I still use them daily and am super happy with them.

Sorry, just noticed your question. I’m back using this setup again regularly for the first time in a while, and the tripods are a little flaky. Reasonably stable, but the keyboard does flex a little under use, and eventually they slide out of place and need to be reset. I’m back here looking for clues for sturdier tripods.

Anyways, in the unlikely case you’re still looking, these were just cheap tripods I picked up at a big box electronics store. They have the brand “Cameron” on the leg. I think this is it:

https://www.henrys.com/82720-CAMERON-MINI-TRIPOD-W-BALL-HEAD-BLACK.aspx

1 Like

Here’s mine! Thanks to all the ideas in this thread!
The last two show my usual sitting and standing positions, respectively - after getting used to it it’s surprisingly easy to transition and adjust the precise positioning.

Parts used:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y2J4G6S/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CKD2LH7/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P8A56PQ/

The connecting piece closest to the boards hitting my thighs doesn’t bother me like I initially thought it would, and I kinda even like the extra stability feeling that gives me anyway. Though I’m probably gonna experiment with some sort of covering/padding over it anyway, even if mostly aesthetic. Sometimes I also angle it so that the boards themselves are on my thighs.

Also, the Manfrotto stands mentioned earlier are awesome for tenting on a surface when I’m working elsewhere, very compact/portable. Surprisingly stable, I highly recommend, thanks @jamie

Now just gotta figure out making the mouse a bit easier to reach…

2 Likes

buzhidaoist, congrats on your setup!

I’m looking into a possibly similar setup with different mounting position.

#How well has this installation-method held up?
#How much weight/pressure can you apply to the keyboard before it becomes unstable.
#Have you found a better solution with using the mouse?

dope, what are you thinking?

So far it’s held up well sturdiness wise! Though I have kept it primarily partially resting on my thighs when sitting, so that supports it. I haven’t felt any stability concerns, it definitely gives/wobbles a little depending on how tight you keep the knobs, but I actually like a bit of give! I haven’t specifically tested applying weight/pressure though.

And I haven’t figured out the mouse yet – I imagine there’s definitely a solution by making an attachment to the clamp and a sturdy enough platform, but definitely custom, as existing mouse platforms won’t do the trick on their own.

Sometimes I also just keep it in my lap since I’m using the trackball lol

Update: got Arkon suction mounts to eliminate the protrusions from the clamp mounts, and no issues – they hold really strong. The clamp mounts didn’t bother me too much but I imagine it could some people – and obviously using these instead just looks cleaner

Note: apparently there’s also a “non-sticky” version of the Arkon mount which I haven’t tried but I don’t imagine it’s practically that different

4 Likes

3 Likes

Does anyone know what kind of (stable) tenting angle you can with the Manfrotto (MP3) tripods?

I am now experimenting with a Z-shaped tilt head as @Simon-Claudius suggested and it is far more stable than I expected with such a small mount. I bought one to test first, but I’ll probably get another one because it works well.

2 Likes

I came back looking for mount ideas for my new model 100 and these fit the bill perfectly - thanks so much for sharing!