Today I noticed that my butterfly key doesn’t always register when pressed down.
I’ve had my keyboardio for over a week, but since the butterfly key is mapped to Right Alt, which I never use, I haven’t noticed anything unusual about the key until now. Today I remapped the key, and was confused why nothing happened when I pressed the key. At first I thought I had made a mistake in the firmware, but it turned out that the key simply doesn’t always register.
I’ve found the LED Stalker effect to be very helpful when “debugging” this. The butterfly key doesn’t always light up when I tap it. On the other hand, the Esc key on the other half of the keyboard always lights up.
It seems like it matters where on the key I put my fingertip when pressing the key.
- At the lowest corner, closest to the H key, it feels like 9 times out of 10 the key does not register.
- At the opposite, highest corner, closest to the Alt thumb key, it feels like only 1 time out of 10 the key does not register.
- Between those points there’s kind of a spectrum of how well it registers.
It also feels like if I mess around with the key for a while, pressing it very hard, holding it, slightly rotating my finger, wobbling it, etc. it gets better for a while even when tapping it “normally.”
This absolutely not a deal breaker or anything for me. Mostly wanted to share the experience and give a tip on something that potentially could be improved in the production in the future
- Has anyone else noticed anything like this?
- Is there anything I can do? I’ve thought of taking the keycap off and checking the switch, but I don’t have a keycap puller, so I haven’t gotten around doing it yet.