Guide: A second step to fixing key chatter

Thank you very much for sharing all of this detail! I wish I saw this earlier.

I’ve found that after cleaning the switches with alcohol as described in What to do if your keyboard seems to duplicate keystrokes or a key stops working , the key chatter eventually returns after 2-3 months. I clean them with alcohol again, which temporarily stops the chatter, only to have it return in another 2-3 months. So for the last two years, every 2-3 months, I go through the alcohol bathing ritual. Until…

The last time the chatter returned (about a week ago), I was surprised that the usual cleaning with alcohol did not fix the chatter on two of the keys. And after further attempted cleaning the two keys stopped registering key presses all together. The LEDs on the keys still light up, but they no longer register key presses. I’ve tried cleaning them multiple times, but no luck.

I’ll try following the steps described above to see if that might help, although I realize my situation may be entirely different. I’m not very skilled with hardware and I suspect replacing the switches with new ones is beyond my abilities.

If anyone has some advice, please let me know.

Regards,
Michael