How to type a fixed string of chars with a key

Dear all.

I’ve read the docs and searched the community here for some time without luck, so maybe I’m not finding the right keywords/approach.

The question is: how can I make the keyboard type a fixed string of chars (like an email or a name) with a key? (or a combination of keys, it doesn’t matter). It is only possible with macros, or is it something simple doable in Chrysalis?

I’m referring Chrysalis because it works beautifully (thanks @algernon!) and I’m no programmer.

Sorry if it’s grossly obvious and I passed over it. :sweat_smile:

As always, thanks a lot in advance for sharing your time and knowledge. :smiley:

Best regards…

I think macros are what you want. For simple ones you can set them up via dynamic macros in Chrysalis.

1 Like

Dear @wezm , yes, you spot it perfectly, thank you very much. :pray:t4:

Somehow I always connected “macros” with “code outside Chrysalis”.

If anyone believes this could be made more clear in the documentation, I would gladly help with that. :slight_smile:

For future folxs searching for this in the forum or elsewhere, you need to:

1. Open Chrysalis.
  2. Go to “Dynamic macros” (not "Macros).
  3. Select a macro slot (that opens the macro editor).
  4. Specify the exact sequence you want (including modifiers if needed, like “hold shift, tap X, release shift”).
  5. Close the macro editor (it will be saved automagically, don’t worry).
  6. Now go to “Macros” in the menu. Identify the slot you used for your desired macro.
  7. In the keyboard, specify the key (or combination of) you prefer and select the macro slot you created to assign in to that key.
  8. Download the changes to the keyboard.

Enjoy your new macro. :slight_smile:

Again, thank you very much Wesley.

Have a great time everyone…

1 Like