KVM + Model01 (Need a recommend from anyone who has managed to use a KVM)

I tried to use an old USB KVM https://www.iogear.com/product/GCS632U/ where I am really only using the KM functionality, but I found the Model01 failed to work. There was some odd behavior with the LEDs and I think the main problem was the power draw via the KVM is too great. I adjusted my firmware to disable the LEDs but still no joy.

Does anyone else use their Model01 with a keyboard/mouse switch, and if so what model do you use?

( On a side note I still need to get HostOS working but I was wondering does the detection occur in every cycle of the loop or is it a one time thing when the keyboard boots? )

Itā€™s a one-time thing, because it is rather costy. If I remember correctly, re-detection can be forced, so you could set up a timer to run it every once in a while. Mind you, OS detection isā€¦ unreliable at best. :confused:

1 Like

I think I may need to give up on detection and just have a way to switch between two sets of keymaps.

I have a Model 01 on order and I use KVMs both at work and at home so weā€™ll find out soon. I hope I wonā€™t have to end up selling it. Iā€™m hopeful, though, because Iā€™ve used RGB Mistel Baraccos both at home and at work and those seem to work fine, so unless the Model 01ā€™s power draw is higher than that of the Baracco it should be fine. I have a IOGear MiniView Pro at work, and an Avocent SV240D at home.

It would be good to know how your testing goes. I have another IOgear switch is a bit more modern but is also a passive device in that it takes power from the USB ports. I will test that one today.

Iā€™ve heard good things about this ā€œsoftware KVMā€, but have no idea if it would work with keyboardio: https://symless.com/synergy. Obviously wonā€™t help with switching monitors though, so may not be applicable, but itā€™s nice that you can drag and drop files in addition.

In my case both computers cannot see each other over the network so Synergy is not an option.

So the keyboard finally arrived today and as expected, I canā€™t flash it through the KVM, which is a massive time sink. The keyboard works fine while I use the KVM though, even with all the LEDs on at the same time.

1 Like

Mine is currently running on a ConnectPro UD-12+ without issue.

Finally back to needing one of these for the WFH laptop :frowning:

I have ordered something cheap with the hope the extra optional power will do the trick : UGREEN USB 3.0 Switch 2 In 4 Out USB 3.0 Sharing Switch Box ā€“ UGREEN

[edit: I had huge misgivings but it has only gone and worked! More surprising than that it does not need external power which was the one trick I thought I might need to make it work]

I bought a 4-port vga usb kvm with ddm branded by startech (should be the same as the equivalent ones by connectpro). It freaks out, when I plug the model 01 in the kb port. I guess thatā€™s because the model 01 also registers as a mouse. I mean to take that part out of the firmware, but donā€™t know when Iā€™ll actually get to that.

I donā€™t understand, why kvm manufacturers donā€™t join the usb club to get in some device tree sharing functionality between hosts. I mean the std is around for a while now and itā€™s not that it hadnā€™t been touched since.

I had a look at the StarTech ones but I just donā€™t need the video unless its 4k and even then it would for sure degrade the quality! (Am running 120hz Mac or 240hz Windows)

None of the passive ones I had tried from IOgear worked so I opted for the powered USB switch instead, only downside is there is no way to flip it from the keyboard I have to push a button.

So I am pretty confident isnā€™t happening because I have asked twice, but I really wanted the Model100 to offer bluetooth functionality. Whilst I know the USB cord is more practical and offers the ultimate in compatibility a wireless solutiion is what I desire most from the next board.

I used an old star tech one and it worked smoothly with model 01. I was able to upload firmware through it as well and the keyboard never lost power even when I pushed the reset button on the kvm (which I did have to do occasionally when a monitor got confused).

They arenā€™t cheap and would be overkill if you just need a K_M and donā€™t need the ā€˜Vā€™ I guess.

I picked up an Aten CS1784A recently, and had the hardest time getting anywhere with both the Atreus and the M01. The 1784 manual is verbose, but not easy to read.

In the end, I found out that I had to disable keyboard emulation (set bypass mode). Switching consoles takes a little longer now, since the USB devices are being reset during every switch, but the keyboards then work fine.

1 Like

Maybe your KVM switch doesnā€™t support NKRO HID protocol. Have you tried putting your Model01 in Boot (6KRO) protocol mode?

1 Like

I actually did, and it didnā€™t make a difference. For other KVMs at least, Aten claims NKRO support.