Low profile switches on Atreus?

I am currently in the process of trying to figure out what switches and keykaps would I want to use with my Atreus. I would really fancy to try out low profile switches, or anything resembling the experience.

However, I’ve looked around here and on Discord a bit, and from sporadic messages I see that Atreus and low profile does not go hand in hand.

I would like to just ask about the actual problem here.

• Is this because of the case is made for normal size switches?
  • Is the PCB also incompatible with low profile switches? In this case, none of the available options would work (Kailh choc v1, v2, any MX low profile, etc.)?

Bonus question: is anyone using flat keys like this: F10 (flat key) Keyset - Pimpmykeyboard.com ? Does this work on Atreus or would it make a difference in feel/keytravel?

1 Like

Both. As it happens I would also be interested in a low profile Atreus with Cherry MX-LP switches for superior portability.

I have never used flat switches, but they would feel different as the switches would not guide your fingertips to the correct point to the same degree as with spherical or concave. Nonetheless, it is perfectly possible to type accurately with flat keys as any laptop owner will tell you.

While they’re obviously not as curved as the keycaps on my preferred keyboards, the keys on the laptops I have are not actually flat. The MacBook Air I’m using right now has keys that are concave enough that I can easily tell by feel where my fingertips are on each key, even when not in contact with the edges. Some of the keys are actually flat on the top, and the difference is quite obvious, even with just a tiny bit of curvature.

Belatedly jumping in here. I would love to see a future revision of the Atreus with Kailh Choc low profile switches. Someone made one but that requires way more skill than I am capable of at the moment.

It is possible to use low profile switches in the Atreus, but without a lot of work it may not be the ideal choice.

There is just enough space between the PCB and face plate if you are able to make adapters and ok with filing down the pins on your Chocs a little :smiley:

Distance between top of the faceplate and the PCB is about 5mm, the faceplate is 1.5mm thick, that leaves 3.5mm, which is around 0.2mm too short for the pins of a Choc, they will hit the PCB, so the filing down part.

Of course the pin layout is different, that’s why we need an adapter with wiring that connects the Choc pins to the MX layout hot swap sockets.

There is another problem with the faceplate though, as said it is 1.5mm thick, but the Chocs only grab a maximum of 1.3mm. So the switches will not be held securely in place from this, they will be easy to pull out, unless you make the adapters hold tight in the PCB or print a thinner faceplate :thinking:

So, it is possible to convert the Atreus, however building a flatter one from scratch might even be easier :smiley:

2 Likes

Wow. Thanks for that thorough and well considered reply. You gave me a lot to think about. I’m not sure I’d be willing to attempt that on my Atreus for fear I would mess it up, but it’s tempting…

I agree. As for me, I have discovered the Atreus just fits in the rear pocket of a small rucksack I have. It is a tight fit through the zip, meaning that a slightly thinner one would slip in like jam.

Whilst the “Choc” switches have their adherents, the Cherry MX Low Profile holds greater personal appeal: Cherry have retained the aesthetics of their 'desktop" switches but managed to package it more efficiently. MX-LP benefits from slightly longer travel than Kailh’s older Choc design.

I think that if the Atreus was to be redesigned around low profile switches, this is the one to use. Not to mention that, as someone keen to support EU manufacturing, genuine Cherry switches make a positive selling point.

Good news my friends! So I’ve been drooling for a low-pro Atreus62 for bout the past 4-5 years since my Atreus62 has been my daily driver and Choc incompatibility + I don’t know how to design PCB’s yada yada.

Behold!

Now I’m just working out a case/keycap situation and ordering the rest of the bits but it’s now at least POSSIBLE to kit together a low profile Atreus62 :raised_hands:

1 Like

hey there!
Do you still have the STL file for this 3D print?
Would you be willing to share it?
I want to give this a ago.
My Dactyl Manuform build turned out a bit “tall” and I’m looking for ways to lower it a bit