Mechanical switches and actuation forces

That shouldn’t be the case, at least based on the 3D models. Is it equally true for all of the keys?

Unless it’s a consequence of the stems of the keys causing a tiny bit of flex to the sliders. Which we have to do or the keys would just…fall out. Does it happen with palm keys? If so, it’ll be the insides of the sliders causing the issue.

1 Like

Good point about the palm keys. Yes, they also have that scratchy feeling.

I feel bad about complaining about this, as I am truly amazed about how well the keyboard turned out. It exceeded my expectations. It is a great product by any measures, but that a two person company was able to produce, and deliver, something so perfect in their first production run with no prior mass production experience is just incredible!

3 Likes

Thanks!

I certainly want to know about issues you’re seeing. I don’t mind people complaining about things that aren’t quite right, especially if they’re nice about it :slight_smile:

This one thing isn’t something I believe we’re going to be able to change any time soon, which is unfortunate.

I suspect that if the palm key feels scratchy, it means that the size of the keycap stems is making the keyswitch sliders a fraction of a millimeter wider. Changing that is…incredibly expensive and will make the keycaps looser.

1 Like

(FWIW, I’m not currently feeling this on my samples)

I haven’t noticed any scratchiness on my unit, for what it’s worth…

If it is the stems that is causing it, then the Cherrys have a better design than the Matiases in that the Cherrys have the stem going into the caps, and not the other way around like the Matiases. A too tight connection will not affect the sliding mechanism.

I could try to just slightly make the stem narrower to see if it makes any difference. I wouldn’t mind if it gets too loose. I can take a cap that I am planning to replace from the extra key cap set if manage to ruin it.

2 Likes

How are the Matias switches … supposed to feel?

I’ve used a TECK with Cherry MX brown switches the last 5 years. I knew that the Matias switches are a little bit heavier than the MX browns, so I wasn’t surprised when typing on the keyboardio felt different. I’ve had my keyboardio for a couple of months now, and still hasn’t adjusted to the different switches.

When pressing a MX brown down, it feels like I reach the tactile bump without pressing very hard or very far. After the bump, there’s at least the same distance left down before bottoming out.

On my keyboardio if feels like I have to press harder (which I guess is expected) to reach the tactile bump, and almost as if there’s no distance to the bump. When I do reach it, it feels like there’s almost no distance left before bottoming out.

On some keys it feels more like I go straight from the bump to bottoming out.

Being used to MX browns, I guess I don’t like bottoming out. Do you bottom out when typing on the keyboardio? Are you supposed to bottom out on the Matias switches?

Only now I realize the perhaps my switches are defect. Could that be the case? I’m thinking especially about the fact that I’ve started to notice that all switches don’t feel the same.

1 Like

Here’s a graph of the force-curve for Matias Quiet switches.

I do find the switches pretty similar to what you describe, with a very small distance between actuation & bottoming out, but I’m finding that I’m able to avoid bottoming out most of the time…just took a little while to get used to.

I know this is slightly off-topic but since I can’t see the issue mentioned elsewhere, so I’d just like to point out that I’m also experiencing this faint spring sound / ping as @rumpel describes.
It is loudest on both palm keys and both sets of modifiers keys, and present on some ‘normal’ keys.

However, I only really noticed these sounds when I have the keyboard placed in my lap, so in a normal work setting this shouldn’t cause any actual annoyances.

@jesse are these pings to be expected and/or something you have thought about reducing? (Still super happy with my keyboardio :slight_smile:)

The pings some switches have are, we believe, an artifact of the assembly. It’s something that I can usually mitigate or eliminate by disassembling and reassembling a given switch, though I haven’t yet been able to figure out what exactly is causing the issue.

1 Like

Continuing slightly off-topic: I had a key near the bottom right that pinged when a lateral force (like from a stretched pinky) was applied during keypress, but that sounded perfectly normal when pushed from above. Currently my “<,” key sounds with a brightish click (snap) on release when actuated near the bottom (raised) contour, but normal when actuated near the top (over the ‘<’) (not so easy). None of this is detracting at all from my delight in this wonderful tool. Just wanted to point out that sounds may be related to how a key is pressed.

2 Likes

I also was worried about the actuation force. I noticed wrist pain from the Model 01. I started with replacing just the springs. I got this pack of 45cN force springs, and this Alps switch remover tool (was well worth the $10 IMO).

It took me about 2 hours of fiddling to replace the springs. Much better on my wrists, I can tell a difference. Makes me excited to use my Model 01 again! (I also used 35cN springs on the edge keys that I use my pinky to reach, and I like it, but it’s not a must-have).

Original post that inspired me to change the springs. Video walkthrough I used for disassembling/reassembling the switches.

1 Like