Model 100 firmware hick-up out of nowhere and keyboard sometimes not responding

I sometimes have problems with the model 100. One time I started Chrysalis (on Windows 11) and my original 3 layers where not existing any longer. Instead there were 6 layers existing with random stuff on some keys. I thought I made a screenshot, but seemingly not. I made (another time) a reset and restored a backup which fixed that problem.

Another time I wanted to connect from Chrysalis to the keyboard and an error message “Communication timeout”. Replugging the keyboard cured that.

This keyboard is frustrating. It keeps eating time and does not work like it is supposed to do! I am using the keyboard each day for about 15 minutes to get accustomed to it (and a new layout which I am learning), but from time to time the keyboard goes crazy.

Yesterday I was typing and did not get the expected keys. When I opened Chrysalis I found that again the firmware got scrambled up, without any interaction or “strange” things on my side.

I just have the keyboard connected to the PC. I think that should be fine!? But somehow the keyboard firmware goes crazy from time to time!

I then opened a backup of my working configuration and uploaded the via Chrysalis. That fixed the problems.

Today I wanted to type and again had problems that keys do not react or do not respond in a timely manner. After I kept pressing a key a few times the character repeated endlessly. This time I could stop that by pressing another key. When I had similar problems before I even needed to unplug the keyboard.

I do not see any significant progress. When can we expect Chrysalis to offer similar functions like the competition? And more important when can we expect a firmware which runs rock-solid, like I have to expect from a keyboard (driver)!???

I see that I am not the only one with such problems, but I wonder how many actually use the M100 and are fully satisfied and how many accept that it is buggy and how many are already fed up or getting closer to giving up that keyboard?

I have the impression that this keyboard is so close to a great keyboard, but on the other side misses on getting it really robust, having the needed functions (easily accessible without the need to learn how to write firmware code) and misses documentation. It also misses some final touches like an Ethernet cable with a sensible length, an option to tilt the keyboard without raising it too much (Octofeet are a great idea, but for many will be not the best solution, because the keyboard is getting too high – it is already a tad on the high side).

If you can supply more detail about this problem, I might be able to help find the source and fix them. In particular, it would be helpful to know what keys you have defined in your keymap that are involved (in particular, things like “secondary actions” or SpaceCadet or one-shot keys could potentially be the source of the problem). If you’re using a custom firmware sketch, that would also be good to know.

I can sympathize with you. I fall into the “already fed up” category, having bits and pieces of the keymap I coded into the firmware overwritten or corrupted. I have only used Chrysalis to load custom firmware and clear EEPROM, never to make changes to the keymap but it seems like Chrysalis tries to store my last keymap, or at least parts of it, and use those bits and pieces to overlay the new firmware that I just compiled and loaded. The last straw was in early November when I uploaded a new revision of firmware that I had been working on and the M100 reverted to QWERTY, although I have never compiled a QWERTY firmware, only Colemak. Where did that come from? I put the keyboard in a closet and have not taken it out since. I keep checking the forums to see if there have been any breakthroughs in Kaleidoscope features and maybe a firmware install utility so that I do not have to even have Chrysalis installed. At this point I would really prefer a port to QMK.

I can only speak for myself. I have two model 100 keyboards. I have only made changes with Chrysalis. With my previous model 1 I manually setup firmware. I am pretty much using out of the box with some minor key changes.

The one I have never had any problems. I use it all day every day at work. Nothing ever is wrong.

The other I use at home and sometimes I do have an issue where it suddenly is repeating keys or missing keys. I have found unplugging and replugging in seems to fix it. My setup at home is a bit more complicated where I have a built in USB-C hub in my monitor and it can switch between my personal desktop and my work laptop. I only seemed to have issues with the desktop and not the work laptop so I mostly thought it was something related to either the setup or something there. It has only been a few times so have not gotten much farther.

As someone who really loves the keyboard and lurks on reading this forum, the git hub issues and tries to follow along with the code, I would say from my outside opinion it does seem that trying to add more advanced features to Chrysalis in someways hurting the user experience as it is adding things that are not explained well and there are several sets of instructions not all up to date and not all user friendly (example, the number used to determine the start LED mode). I think all the contributors are extremely technically skilled and working to get the best solution, but things are breaking as they change (such as the mix-ups between keymaps stored in code and eprom and the eprom layouts changing causing chaos). Again, I think everyone is doing their best and its a small group, but I can understand and sympathize with people who just want a fully working keyboard out of the box. Good documentation is hard.