Replacements for the Model 01's black rubber feet

One of the black rubber feet has fallen off the bottom of my Model 01, so I guess some of the others might follow suit eventually. If I can find where it went then maybe I can superglue it back in, but are replacements available?

Have you tried supergluing it yet? Did it work?

No I havenā€™t found it yetā€¦

Iā€™m thinking that @jesse has already tried gluing the feet to the kb and knows what to do.

This happened to me as well, already lost 2 feet and I have no idea where they areā€¦ :frowning:

1 Like

Weā€™ve got a hidden product on the web storefront:

In terms of repair, Iā€™d probably use something like a rubber cement before Iā€™d use a superglue, since itā€™ll be less likely to harm the rubber feet.

3 Likes

I also had one of the rubber feet fall off my keyboard (though fortunately I didnā€™t lose it).

Iā€™m curious, is the hidden product just the set of feet or does it also include some glue/rubber cement?

They have 3M adhesive on the back.

I lost one of the rubber feet while moving. How can I buy it? I went to the link but it looks ā€œSOLD OUTā€ Can I get it elsewhere even if substitute?

I had a pack of these hanging around, they seem to be a perfect fit. Edit: pretty sure its the square ones from this https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XPCLN23

1 Like

Note to future foot-gluers: Plain old PVA glue seems to work. Iā€™m using Mod Podge, but white school glue and most wood glues (certainly the inexpensive ones) are PVA too.

Possibly excessive detail, just in case. Peel the failing original adhesive off the foot first. Have a just-damp rag handy to wipe any excess away; it will lift very cleanly off the plastic baseplate. No need to clamp it, but do hold it in place between your thumb and finger for a few minutes.

If you (/future me) want to check compatibility of another adhesive, to spare you a little digging, the baseplate is ABS/polycarbonate mixture and the foot is silicone. ABS is easy to glue to. There are lots of warnings about solvents and glues that ā€˜crackā€™ polycarbonate, but I have not been able to learn whether this is structural damage or just cosmetic. Like Jesse, I would try rubber cement before cyanoacrylate, but silicone is famously inert, so staying stuck to it is probably a bigger problem than damaging it.

2 Likes

There are chemicals that do make pc produce physical cracks - so I guess thatā€™s meant by those warnings. (It is of consideration in vaping. If you want to see that effect, there should be one or more videos on yt demonstrating it on a ā€œpolycarbonate tankā€; context vaping.)

@jesse Will the Model 100 have the same feet as the 01? Iā€™d love to be able to buy some spare feet for my 01s and future 100s.

The Model 100 will have feet that are compatible with the Model 01. Frustratingly, the old factory lost the old tooling, so they may not be identical.

2 Likes

If anyone cares, I tried rubber cement, and after several attempts my verdict is that it doesnā€™t seem to work.

Havenā€™t tried PVA yet, but I assume it does work since thereā€™s a previous comment that says it does. My next idea though is to get some double-sided sticky tape, stick it to the foot, then use scissors to cut it down to the right shape. That seems like it would work well.

Update: The double-sided sticky tape seems to be working great