USB device not recognized -- (Bad cable)

I’ve just tried my brand new Keyboardio out of the box into (two different) Windows 10 computers. Both of them have popped up the USB “Device Not Recognized” error. I can safely say power is making it to the keyboard–the LED button works, and the lightshow is lovely–but I would also love if keystrokes made it back to the PC.

Any suggestions for how to debug? (Also posted to Twitter; feel free to reply in either venue)

1 Like

Hi Danyel,

I replied on Twitter asking you to email us, but I’m more than happy to do the debugging here.

First up, I’m really sorry you’re running into this. We did test on multiple builds of Windows 10, so I’m not yet sure what’s going wrong.

The next step is probably for me to try to reproduce your setup. Can you tell me which build or builds of Windows 10 you’re running?

Hey Danyel! didn’t know you were getting a Keyboardio! Welcome. :slight_smile:

I finally resurrected our household ASUS pc last night with the latest Windows 10, and the keyboardio just worked when I plugged it in. I haven’t tried flashing it yet, but if you’re not getting keystrokes there is definitely something unusual going on with your setup.

If you can’t get it sorted, would you like to bring it down here and we can check it out? I’d offer to come to your place for a visit, but I’m stuck here for a while. The accident has really slowed me down. I’m sure we can figure it out, though. First thing I’d try is plugging mine into your setup to see if there’s something off with your Model 01 or cable.

@Jen, thanks for the offer! And, yes, trying it on a machine that isn’t managed by my employer might be a useful comparator, too.

Ok, just did a little test, inspired by Jen’s note, and plugged it into my Pixel phone. (I happened to have the USB-C to C converter here). It works fine on the pixel, as far as I can tell – I was able to type characters – so I think I’d feel ok saying that we’ve ruled out the physical device.

@jesse, I’m seeing this on two machines:

1. Surface Book. , Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise v 10.0.15063 Build 15063
  2. HP z840, MS Windows 10 Enterprise, v10.0.14393 Build 14393

On the Surface Book, when I plug it in, the device manager properties says:

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)
A USB port reset request failed.

Below, the latest two relevant events from incredibly verbose Windows Event Log from the Surface Book.

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP
Date:          10/20/2017 1:14:11 PM
Event ID:      411
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      DANYELF-SURBOOK.redmond.corp.microsoft.com
Description:
Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0001\6&3a757eec&0&1 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: usb.inf
Class Guid: {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}
Service: 
Lower Filters: 
Upper Filters: 
Problem: 0x2B
Problem Status: 0x0
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP" Guid="{9C205A39-1250-487D-ABD7-E831C6290539}" />
    <EventID>411</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-10-20T20:14:11.046670000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>736</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="7764" />
    <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration</Channel>
    <Computer>DANYELF-SURBOOK.redmond.corp.microsoft.com</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="DeviceInstanceId">USB\VID_0000&amp;PID_0001\6&amp;3a757eec&amp;0&amp;1</Data>
    <Data Name="DriverName">usb.inf</Data>
    <Data Name="ClassGuid">{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}</Data>
    <Data Name="ServiceName">
    </Data>
    <Data Name="LowerFilters">
    </Data>
    <Data Name="UpperFilters">
    </Data>
    <Data Name="Problem">0x2b</Data>
    <Data Name="Status">0x0</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP
Date:          10/20/2017 1:14:11 PM
Event ID:      400
Task Category: None
Level:         Information
Keywords:      
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      DANYELF-SURBOOK.redmond.corp.microsoft.com
Description:
Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0001\6&3a757eec&0&1 was configured.

Driver Name: usb.inf
Class Guid: {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}
Driver Date: 06/21/2006
Driver Version: 10.0.15063.674
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: BADDEVICE.Dev.NT
Driver Rank: 0xFF0000
Matching Device Id: USB\RESET_FAILURE
Outranked Drivers: usb.inf:USB\RESET_FAILURE:00FF2000
Device Updated: false
Parent Device: USB\VID_045E&PID_091A\5&2c705bfe&0&1
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP" Guid="{9C205A39-1250-487D-ABD7-E831C6290539}" />
    <EventID>400</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>4</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-10-20T20:14:11.041657000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>735</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="7764" />
    <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration</Channel>
    <Computer>DANYELF-SURBOOK.redmond.corp.microsoft.com</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="DeviceInstanceId">USB\VID_0000&amp;PID_0001\6&amp;3a757eec&amp;0&amp;1</Data>
    <Data Name="DriverName">usb.inf</Data>
    <Data Name="ClassGuid">{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}</Data>
    <Data Name="DriverDate">06/21/2006</Data>
    <Data Name="DriverVersion">10.0.15063.674</Data>
    <Data Name="DriverProvider">Microsoft</Data>
    <Data Name="DriverInbox">true</Data>
    <Data Name="DriverSection">BADDEVICE.Dev.NT</Data>
    <Data Name="DriverRank">0xff0000</Data>
    <Data Name="MatchingDeviceId">USB\RESET_FAILURE</Data>
    <Data Name="OutrankedDrivers">usb.inf:USB\RESET_FAILURE:00FF2000</Data>
    <Data Name="DeviceUpdated">false</Data>
    <Data Name="Status">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="ParentDeviceInstanceId">USB\VID_045E&amp;PID_091A\5&amp;2c705bfe&amp;0&amp;1</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>
1 Like

@FisherDanyel: Based on the .corp internal hostname, I’m going to assume my guess about your Redmond-based employer is correct. I worked in Building…43? for about a year in '99.

I know that everything has changed since then, but my recollection is that at the time internal Windows builds were…just a bit different than shipped builds.

I also know that local domain policies can lock down a lot of behavior that would be perfectly acceptable on a vanilla install.
Sadly, since I was in the Exchange org an not the Windows org, I never actually learned that much about the internals.

I 100% believe we’re doing something that Windows sees as weird (and the Code 43 error does give me some hints), but I’d love to be able to repro before I start blindly trying to fix it.

The good thing is that I’m 99.99% certain this can be fixed over USB with a firmware update.

The USB VID and PID aren’t showing up as what we send, but if Windows is flipping out and refusing to talk to the device, that’s not too surprising.

If you hold in the Prog key when you connect the keyboard, you should see it start to glow Red. That’s the bootloader mode. I’d love to know if that throws the same errors. If it does, this is potentially more serious, but not necessarily insurmountable.

1 Like

Your guess about my employment is about right – and, yes, we tend to see builds that are a little earlier.

But after trying, and failing, on a colleague’s Macbook, where it also didn’t work …

It was the cable. Bad cable has been tagged and bagged; replacement cable is just fine. Sorry for bothering you!

3 Likes

And I presume the bad cable was the one we shipped you? That’s still worth reporting. We’re happy to replace it with another, if you want. For that, shoot us email at help@keyboard.io and we can start to figure things out.

Out of curiosity, does the cable work “upside down”? (It might be only one set of bad pins.)

And just to double-check, does the good cable still work “upside down”?

1 Like

I’m happy to know I have a local friend with a keyboardio, so I’m happy you posted. :slight_smile: Bummer you had a bad cable.

2 Likes

The new cable is definitely happy to be turned over. The old cable didn’t work either way.

Jennigma, congratulations! Your temporary immobility means you have plenty of time to practice with it!

1 Like

Yup! I’m working out what I can do while still post-concussive and mostly prone. So far, I’ve never really learned to touch type, so that’s one of the things I have been able to do. Also chattering on forums, and listening to audiobooks.

2 Likes

Had a similar problem, replacing cable has keyboard working again. Thanks!