Any update on keycaps?

As far as I can tell, initial backers got the extra keycaps, but they’ve never been available to buy them otherwise.

I wasn’t a backer, and I got my (translucent) keycaps a few months ago, ordered from here.

I’m a backer and I never got my extra keycaps. I thought the Runic (Linear-A) set I had ordered was not available yet, but just now I’ve discovered that it is. So I’m not sure what happened with that.

Only black blanks and translucent unpainted keycaps were shipped. Linear-A and non-QWERTY caps aren’t available yet.

1 Like

Thanks for the link. I was thinking shop.keyboard.io was the place to order.

1 Like

Also a backer, and still waiting on Dvorak & Linear-A.

Wait! What ?! Backers were shipped extra keys? How did I not hear about this. Are they still available for me to get now or are they all gone?

I can’t remember if it was a perk for early birds, or if I had to pay extra to get them thru backerkit. But yeah, many backers ordered an extra set of keycaps – but they’re not special keycaps, they’re the same you’ll be able to buy from the keyboardio website at some point!

I sure hope so! I am still waiting for the Runic set to order mine.

If I understand correctly, it is still (and will) not be possible to order a keyboard with a non-QWERTY layout. The extra layouts (e.g. Runic) are/will be available only as an additional set. Is my understanding correct?

That is indeed correct.

Than you for the confirmation. Much appreciated. All the best luck with your undertaking!

May I ask for an update on the Linear-A keycaps? I ordered one set at initial order, I would like to order a second set (I have 2x Keyboard.IO, they rock); I recall in one of the backer updates that there should be emails confirming delivery addresses for existing orders, but I haven’t had such an email.

Thanks,

I got my email, and confirmed address. Fab! Looking forward to them.
Will it ever be possible to buy a second set of Linear-A keycaps for my second keyboard.io?

My Linear A keycaps are on the way too (thanks @jesse). I also ordered a spare Qwerty set as my original ones are looking decidedly worn. This made me think; what will happen once the new Keyboardio starts to replace the current model 01? Will keycaps still be available?

With any other keyboard this would not be an issue, but with the model 01 there are no other suppliers.

1 Like

I seem to recall them saying they’ll be still available, but I can’t find the source right now. In any case, the new factory can manufacture keycaps, they’re making the Linear As for example. So I’d think that since they have the tooling for that, Model01 keycaps can still be made.

(I suppose other tooling which would be required for the rest of the keyboard is what’s not at the new factory.)

1 Like

@algernon Maybe this is the source?

2 Likes

Yes, that’s the one. Thank you!

1 Like

Mine are on the way, too, which is nice because the paint on my original set is starting to wear through on a few keys on my MP1 board (what is that, 2 years ago? has it been 3? my memory for that sort of thing is notoriously unreliable).

I just checked the date on my shipping label. I believe my keyboard was among the first batch of clicky ones, October 16th 2017.

That sounds about right for what I remember, so I’ve had mine for a little over 2 years.